LING 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Active And Passive Transformation, Pro-Form, Adjective Phrase

22 views7 pages
14 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Negation ( not ) can be to its right. Do can either be an aux or a main verb. Not to the right: *she did not her homework. Main verb do can appear with other auxs, like modals: Conclusion: main verb be undergoes verb-raising to aux, main verb do does not undergo verb-raising, it stays in v. Hortense solved that intricate, exasperating puzzle: restrictive modifiers limit (restrict) the set of objects referred to by a (common) noun, would you please hand me a pencil? ii. iii, predicates (there are several. The yellow pencil: predicate: a property or quality that is affirmed or denied about an object i. ii. One pencil is yellow: the np referes to a pencil (definite or indefinite reference, the adjective phrase asserts or denies something about it, similar to our text examples: i. Please paint the blue house: blue is a modifier; f. It may be restrictive: identifies which house should be painted i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers