HDE 103 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Sociometric Status, Physical Attractiveness, Selfishness

61 views4 pages
I. Lecture 10: Desires and Motivations for Social Status (May 30, 2018)
A. Desire for Social Status
1. Maslow (1943) spoke of an innate desire for ‘reputation’ or ‘prestige’ [defined as respect or esteem from
other people], recognition, attention, importance or appreciation
a. Socially constructed
2. Evolutionary minded scholars discuss models with the assumption that humans evolved the motivation to
attain high status because higher status has provided the individual with survival and reproductive benefits
a. Throughout species history and cultural history
3. And, biologists link the similar impacts status has on all social species
a. Suggesting a fundamental law of nature
B. However
1. The motivation for status is not universal, and as such, is not fundamental to human life
2. Taxonomies of human life (i.e., what are important aspects) rarely include social status
a. Outcomes related to social status do not often strongly predict subjective well-being or self-esteem:
financial status, power, physical attractiveness
3. Some even suggest that a strong inclination, sensitivity, and desire/motivation for status is a sign of
maladjustment
C. What do you think?
1. Is social status a fundamental construct that defines human life?
2. Is the desire for social status a fundamental motive for human existence?
3. Why or why not?
D. Pro argument
1. First, status motive appears across all social animals, mammals, and especially in primates
a. It appears consistently across human cultures, even the most egalitarian
b. It appears consistently across human history, even in the very earliest human civilizations
2. Second, if you’re hesitant to give credit to the evolutionary components, social conditions in all societies
appear to benefit those who have from those who have-not
a. **Thus, the interpersonal and intrapersonal development of individuals should be drawn towards
structures and dynamics that suggest and reinforce a strong desire for social status
E. Definitions and Conceptualizations
1. Three major components
a. Respect and admiration individuals with high status are held in high regard and esteem by others
b. Voluntary deference people voluntarily comply with a higher status individual’s wishes/desires
c. Perceived instrumental social value when the individual appears to possess personal traits,
characteristics, or behaviors that will facilitate an other’s social goals
i. People afford status to others who they wish to remain close to, who they want to emulate, mimic,
copy, or learn from
2. Often, this is what we think of as prestige or sociometric status because it is granted and understood
through the perceptions of others
F. Prestigious toddlers, children, teenagers?
1. Social status dynamics are observable in the very young
2. They have benefits that are developmentally appropriate
a. Young children who have high status have greater access to toys
b. Children who have high status have positive attention from teachers
c. Teenagers with high status have early and more frequent access to romantic partners
3. But, what grants one status varies by age
4. However, each developmental “stage” is punctuated by the previous
a. So what you learn at one point gives one an advantage or disadvantage during the next social and
developmental transition
G. Why are individuals afforded high status?
1. Social exchanges that are part of all social groups
a. People act with the expectation that they will meet others again
i. i.e., if you treat people as if you will be around for a while
b. So, people confer status to those with the goal o receiving help in accomplishing their own social goals
c. Ego Alter
i. Why does the arrow point one way?
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Is the desire for social status a fundamental motive for human existence: why or why not, pro argument. First, status motive appears across all social animals, mammals, and especially in primates. It appears consistently across human cultures, even the most egalitarian. It appears consistently across human history, even in the very earliest human civilizations. Second, if you"re hesitant to give credit to the evolutionary components, social conditions in all societies appear to benefit those who have from those who have-not. Perceived instrumental social value when the individual appears to possess personal traits, characteristics, or behaviors that will facilitate an other"s social goals. Social exchanges that are part of all social groups. People act with the expectation that they will meet others again i. e. , if you treat people as if you will be around for a while. People who appear competent for their developmental age: competence will get the perceived (alters) far.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers