ASIANAM 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Family Values, Bilateral Descent, Zoological Society Of London

13 views2 pages

Document Summary

Intro to kinship: a central component of social organization. a. i. How we became family, our family ties is the topic of kinship a. ii. Families is an economic unit, a unit of purchase, a unit of consumption a. iv. Families is a political unit: census of residences, family values a. v. Political alliances between clans and kinship units: who are one"s kin? b. i. They are special people and can qualitatively be sorted out from other people. b. ii. People we stand together and support us. b. iii. Solidarity is diffuse which is expressed through all sorts of aspects of our lives. Kinship categories and notation: kinship and cultural diversity a. i. They may have a similar categories but maybe slightly different meanings. a. ii. 2. We cannot make the assumption that they mean the same thing: kin terms & biological kin types b. i. Kin terms: a list of words used by speakers of a particular language for their category of kin. b. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers