PSYCH 178 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Buddhist Philosophy, Pluralistic Ignorance, Psych

35 views2 pages
4 May 2014
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The person as a scientist person who wants to know and wants to master him/herself and the environment. Buddhist philosophy: who am i, how do i understand myself and the world, helps me function in the world, not hedonic and passing on genes but one of understanding and mastering. Understanding causality: your car does not start. You ask, why didn"t the car start? (only ask questions of things that are unexpected: you then search for evidence. How do i solve the causal question: bring forth different hypotheses: No more gas: you put in gas and the car starts, you proved your hypothesis, you put in gas and the car does not start. Then you realize that your gas gauge is: what influences our conclusions? broken. Experiment: effort in school compared to other students: most people think they spend less time, pluralistic ignorance: you really don"t know what other people are thinking and what they are doing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers