COMM 1100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Diaphragmatic Breathing, Glossophobia

48 views2 pages
12 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Speech anxiety is the fear of speaking in front of an audience (also known as glossophobia) Up to 75% of people suffer from speech anxiety. You will most likely get anxious during: pre-preparation (the unknown, preparation (am i doing enough?, pre-performance (what if i mess up?, performance (everyone is looking at me) Anxiety myths include: picture the audience naked, taking a breath each time you feel anxious, the more you prepare, the worse you"ll do, public speaking class will cure speech anxiety. Strategies for building confidence: visualization : mentally imagining a successful speech step by step, relabeling : assigning more positive words to feelings associated with speech anxiety, relaxation : breathing strategies (diaphragmatic breathing, meditation breathing, tension-release breathing) Before the day of your speech: choose a topic you care about, become an expert on your topic, research your audience, nail down your introduction and conclusion. Create a plan of action (assign dates to each step of the speech making process)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers