HDFS 1070 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Developmental Psychology, Reinforcement, Parenting Styles

26 views6 pages

Document Summary

Be aware: dominant theme of toddler years is self assertion and mastery. Driven to assert themselves and become autonomous. Children will need guidance, control, and socialization as they move through these themes. People not able to manage behavior and emotion are at a disadvantage. Social control: regulation of behavior and emotion. The crisis is the tension between development and social and cultural expectations. Pressure between being autonomous and not being able. Shame: emotion that is experienced when we we believe we are a failure in the eyes of others. Doubt: questioning your ability to master future challenges. Toddler years are filled with ample opportunities to feel masterful or incompetent. Let me dress myself let me pour my milk . We have to correct and regulate their behavior, but doing so too much will produce anxiety about competence. You have to give them the tools to succeed. Central process: what needs to occur and how you help them master the crisis.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers