ECON 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Starbucks, Opportunity Cost, Standard-Definition Television

19 views2 pages
Verified Note
4 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Prices signal comparative advantage: prices define self-interest, everyone has self-interest, everyone ends up in a comparative advantage. Decision making in economics: take an action if profit is positive, profit = benefit - cost. Cost: the standard definition: the price paid to acquire, produce, accomplish, or maintain anything, a more difficult example case. A friend gave me a gold ring. By standard definition, the cost to me is zero. There comes to a more complete definition: the value of forgone opportunities-the best alternative opportunity. The lowest price i can will accept for my ring is . So the opportunity cost for me is . Explicit and implicit: explicit cost outlay of money, implicit cost not an outlay of money, buyer may have implicit cost, examples, amanda has a job at starbucks, making an hour. She can work as many hours as she wants. The price of a ticket to a concert in los angeles is .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers