PHIL 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: The First Night, Personal Identity, Counterexample

29 views5 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Personal identity: the first night, soul theory (vs. Body theory: problems with soul theory, the second night, memory theory (vs. A dialogue on personal identity and mortality: the cast of characters, gretchen weirob: dying philosophy teacher, atheist, physicalist. Viewpoint: you are the same person because you have the same body . When your bodied dies, the whole person died: sam miller: long-time friend of gretchen, chaplain, dualist, dave cohen: a former student of gretchen"s. The first night: the sameness of person over time, gretchen"s challenge, survive means survival -- no more, no less. Gretchen challenges sam to comfort her on her deathbed by showing her that there is the possibility that she could survive her impending bodily death. The memory of the past (and thus, accountability ) The anticipation of the future. i. i. ii: kinds of identity, similarily i. ii. Things that are qualitatively identical share a bunch of properties.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers