Psychology
Course
PSY 102
Professor
Quinn Major
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 1 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  What is social psychology?  Scientific study of how individuals think, feel, and behave in a social context o Relies on the scientific method o Focuses on cognition, emotion, and behavior  Psychology of the individual (as opposed to anthropology  culture and sociology  group)  Social context o Emphasis is on the social nature of individuals  “other people” do not have to be real or present  can be implied or imagined  ex: even when you’re alone, the things you do are shaped by other people (getting ready in morning: deodorant, blue jeans, etc.)  how does social psychology differ from other disciplines? o Personality psychology  individual variation/cross-situational consistency o Clinical psychology  abnormal behavior o Developmental  change over time o Sociology  focused on the group o Communication  kind of a spin off of social psychology; communicative aspects of social behavior o Off shoots of social psychology  Organizational psychology  Environmental psychology  Sports psychology  Health psychology  Political psychology Lecture 2 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Social psychology and common sense  The “knew it all along” phenomenon  Common sense seems to explain many social psychological findings after the fact o But how does one distinguish common sense facts from common sense myths?  Unlike common sense, social psychology uses the scientific method to put its theories to the test  How we do social psychology  Scientific method (textbook) o A way of answering questions (other than observing and concluding)  Correlational research (textbook) o Detecting natural associations among variables o Does not imply causation  Example: # of electrical appliances correlates with usage of birth control  Explanation: wealthier people can afford both electrical appliances and birth control  Example: purchase of more books in home correlates with kids doing better in school  Explanation: wealth, parent education (more likely to buy books AND value child’s education), people who value education INDEPENDENT of parent education level o Examples  Positively correlated  The older you get, the more conservative you get  Negatively correlated  The more you smoke, the lower your life expectancy  Survey research o Random sampling critical: why? o Four biasing  Unrepresentative sample  How women feel after having abortions  Order of questions  How a question is phrased/order of questions  Should the Japanese government be able to set limits on how much American industry can sell? o Americans said absolutely not  Should the American government be able to set limits on how much Japanese industry can sell? o Americans say absolutely  Response options  Close ended/open ended options for answers  State of education system when asked about American problems  Wording of questions  Welfare vs. assistance to the poor  Ambushed vs. hit  Experimental method o Random assignment to conditions  Different than random sampling  UCSB psych studies: randomly assigned to conditions, BUT  we can choose which experiment  we are forced to do experiments o Control  Used to ensure that the independent variable was the ONE thing that caused the change in the dependent variable o Manipulation (of independent variable)  Internal validity – how confident you are that the IV was the cause of change in the DV o Observation/measurement (of dependent variable) o Issues in experimental research  Demand characteristics  Cues to the subject  Experimenter expectancy effects  Whether or not experimenter is pushing information that would cause certain effects  Internal validity  External validity  Lab versus field  Doing it in a laboratory or out in the field?  Social psychology and human values o We study the topics of our era o Science is subjective  Our preconceptions and values shape  Our hypotheses  The way we design studies  Our conclusions Lecture 3 – The Self 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Why study the self?  Self = reflective o What people see in us, we will see  Possessions are extensions of self o Car, children, etc. o If you hurt car/child/etc. it hurts us  The self: why do social psychologists study it?  The self is a social construct o It governs our perceptions of reality o It is constructed by social reality  Much social behavior is motivated by the self o By a desire to maintain our self-views o By a desire to enhance our self-esteem  Who we are: o Colors what we see in the world we live in o Is shaped by the world we live in  Film  William James o “The mind from within”  material  things outside of us  spiritual  we are thinkers  social  how we want others to see us  individuation o young child separating from very close, dependent relationship on mother o forms strong sense of self  Freud o Id  primitive, unconscious o Superego  restrains id o Ego  conscious sense of self identity (moderates superego and id)  How does the self work in controlling behavior? o Awareness of continuing identity as a person  Internal regulator of thoughts, feeling, and behavior  Interprets/organizes our experiences  Provides plans, goals, incentives, etc. o Self schema  If self image is good, we try to live up to the standard  If self image is bad, adjust downward and fail more often  Theory of self efficacy  High sense = take on challenges they believe they can master  Low sense = shy away from things they believe exceed their abilities  Affect life paths/careers  What is the self?  William James o Self as knower “I” vs. self as known “me”  I  active knower  Me  all the knowledge we have about ourselves o Self as known can be divided into three aspects  Constituents (self-concept)  Material me  Possessions that have become part of me o car, house, clothes  Social me  lives in the eyes/minds of other people  how other people see me  spiritual me  ideals  religion  Feelings and emotion (self-esteem)  The acts to which they prompt (self-motives)  How is the self organized?  Is our self concept changing over time, or is it stable? o Both  stability, but slight changes over time  Due to life events, people, etc.  Do we have one self or many selves?  Self concept o Sum of beliefs people have about themselves  Self concept is both stable and dynamic  We have multiple, context-specific, selves that change over time o Available self concept  Accumulation of knowledge, experiences  I’m smart, I’m not good at math, I’m too fat, I’m a good friend o Accessible self concept  At any one time, only a little part of you is accessible  It feels like you’re changing  Drinking with friends at a bar  Vs.  At home with parents  Self-concept is hierarchical o Some dimensions of self are more important, more central to the self concept than are others  Self schemas  Schematic vs. a-schematic  Schematic  schematic about intelligence, musicianship, friendship (important to me)  Ex: if someone said I was a bad musician, it would sting  Influence perception, self esteem, motivation o Self esteem = accomplishments (divided by) pretentions  Different types of selves o Personal self  Unique person o Relational self  With others o Collective self (social identity)  Self complexity o Self complexity  the number and inter-connectedness of self aspects  High self complexity  Low self complexity  Dimensions inter-linked  Knowing oneself  Twenty statement test (who am I?) o My own  1. I am kind.  2. I am intelligent  3. I am a good friend.  4. I am Jewish  5. I am an only child  6. I am a musician  7. I am quirky  8. I am complex  9. I am fun to be around.  10. I am silly  11. I am perpetually tired  12. I am petite  13. I am into the arts  14. I am organized  15. I am fashion forward  16. I am interesting to talk to  17. I am a good listener  18. I am a good advice giver  19. I am dedicated to things I’m passionate about  20. I am very emotional/caring/sympathetic o changes over time/with age  Reactive measures (questionnaires)  Cognitive measures (reaction times) Lecture 4 – The Social Self Cont. 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  How do we “know” who we are?  Sources of self-knowledge: Overview o Self perception o Reflected appraisals o Social comparisons o Culture o How accurate is our self knowledge?  Self perception o Self perception theory (Bem)  we draw inferences about our self by observing our behavior and the constraints on our behavior  Observing own behavior  Social constraints  Ex: interview for job  a. questions led to describing themselves in introverted ways (favorite books, what do you do on rainy days) b. more fun (what are your favorite outdoor activities, how do you get a party started, etc.)  Rate yourself on introverted – extroverted scale  Group A said more introverted, group B said more extroverted o Constraint: control that coerces behavior  Ex: gun to head o Self perception of emotion  Facial feedback  changes in facial expression can lead to changes in the subjective experience of emotions  We label emotions based off the bodily feedback of our facial features  Ex: without being told to smile, put pencil in mouth and don’t have teeth touch  watch cartoons, etc. rate funniness of cartoon, rate how you feel  Rated themselves happier than sad  Body posture  Shoulders back, better posture  feel more powerful, stronger, etc. o Self perception of motivation  Intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation  Intrinsic motivation  originates in factors within a person  Ex: read textbook because interested in subject  Extrinsic motivation  originates in factors outside the person  Ex: read textbook for a good grade, to get into grad school, etc.  What happens to intrinsic motivation once a reward is no longer available?  Overjustification effect  Ex: loves photography but told if you bring photos in you get money… over time you start to not like photography as much (not sure I love taking pictures because I’m getting paid to do it)  Paradoxical effects of reward on intrinsic motivation  How long children played with a bunch of really beautiful markers; them assigned 1/3 conditions  A. no reward  barely less than unexpected reward  B. unexpected reward  barely more than no reward  C. expected reward  significantly less than no reward and unexpected reward  Understanding the paradox  Should rewards NOT be offered?  What is important is how the reward is perceived o Constraint; is the award controlling/causing the behavior psychologically?  Ex: if every time you have an exceptional picture in addition to the 10 for $5 ones, you get a bonus = won’t undermine your intrinsic feelings  Other people o Reflected appraisals  Types of reflected appraisals  Direct appraisals  how particular other people ACTUALLY view you  Ex: asking parents/friends  Perceived self  how you THINK particular others view you  Ex: how I think my parents/friends see me  Generalized other  how you think people IN GENERAL view you  Ex: how people in general see me  Connections among reflected appraisals and self concept  Direct reflection (weak)  Others view of you –weak perceived self – strong self concept  Children’s self concepts and parents’ match  Difference in how parents ACTUALLY saw kids and how kids THOUGHT parents saw  Why is the link so weak?  Link between how they view you and how you view yourself (filtered information) o Sometimes people don’t tell you what they frankly think (bad breath, zipper down, etc.) o People censor what they say to us  The connections can be going the other way o Others view of you  how you think they view you  how you view yourself o Our self concepts shape our perceptions of how others see us  We get conflicting messages from different people  Some people are more important influences than others  social comparisons o we learn about ourselves by comparing ourselves with others when objective standards are unavailable o we tend to compare with others who:  we see as similar to us  who are in our immediate environment o our social context shapes our self-views  “frog pond” effect  two kids of average intellectual ability  send one to a school with V achieving kids  send one to a school with ^ achieving kids  wait a while, ask if they think they’re going to go far in school/life  kid at V achieving school feels smarter/higher aspirations  derive sense of how good we are compared to how “good” other people are  mr. clean vs. mr. dirty study  participants wait in a room to be interviewed for a job  another job candidate (confederate) is waiting  confederate is well dressed (clean) or unkempt (dirty)  participants completed self-esteem scale  results  self evaluations were lower when they applied for the job in the presence of Mr. Clean than Mr. Dirty  culture shapes the self  culture  shared set of meanings that structure one’s perception of the self and the world o “western self”  separate, independent, bounded, individuated  “to thine own self be true” o “eastern self”  connected, contextual, collective  “nail that stands out gets pounded down” o independent vs. interdependent view of self  mother father friend etc. SEPARATE FROM SELF  mother father friend etc. PART OF SELF  gender shapes the self  women’s self concept tends to be more interdependent o choose pictures with friends  men’s self concept tends to be more independent o choose pictures with self  are our self conceptions accurate? o Affective forecasting  We have difficulty predicting our responses to future emotional events  Why?  We tend to overestimate the strength and duration of our emotional reactions  For NEGATIVE events, we do not fully appreciate our psychological coping mechanisms  We focus only on the emotional impact of a single event, overlooking the effects of other life experiences  READ “STUMBLING INTO HAPPINESS”  Self esteem  Global evaluation of self as worthwhile, valuable o “I feel I am a person of worth” o “on the whole, I am satisfied with myself”  is high self esteem good? o Those with a positive self image tend to be happy, healthy, productive, and successful o Those with a negative self image tend to be more depressed, pessimistic about the future, and prone to failure o But does high self esteem ensure desirable life outcomes? o Should we try to raise children’s self esteem to ensure productivity and happiness when older?  ABC video Lecture 5 – The Self (cont.) 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Is high self-esteem a social vaccine?  Video  “feeling good about failure”  self esteem o people with higher self esteem tend to be  happier/less depressed  healthier  more optimistic about the future  more productive  more successful/do better in school  high self esteem also is positively associated with o aggressiveness o juvenile delinquency o taking large risks (ex: unsafe sexual behavior) o stronger in-group bias  favoring their group over other groups  how to reconcile? o Different types of self esteem  Level (high/low)  Stability (how much it fluctuates across situations)  Explicit (self-report) vs. implicit (reaction time)  Measuring implicit  how quickly you are to associate good/bad attributes with self  Good words and bad words; which ones do you associate with yourself (uncontrolled, quick reaction times)  Who is most hostile?  People with HIGH-UNSTABLE self esteem  People with HIGH EXPLICIT-LOW IMPLICIT self esteem  Narcissists  They are easily threatened, defensive after negative feedback, most hostile  Where does self esteem come from? o Innate? o Early experiences (ex: parents) o Personal experiences (ex: accomplishments) o Self standards  James  Higgins’ self-discrepancy theory  Ideal self and ought self  Discrepancy in “ought” leads to anxiety  Sometimes standards are so high, it’s nearly impossible to meet those standards  Self and behavior  The self is a dynamic system that motivates behavior o Two main self motives  Self enhancement  see ourselves as good, worthy  Different cultures have different perception of good/worthy  Although idea of self enhancement in general is universal  Self enhancement (expanded)  Motive to feel good about ourselves o Especially evident following threats to self o Possibly innate o Stronger in individualistic societies  1-10 o leadership ability o ability to get along with others o patience o tolerance o thoughtfulness o etc.  how can we ALL be above average? o Implicit egotism  Ways we self enhance  Tesser’s self evaluation maintenance Model (SEM) o Two main processes underlie SEM  Reflection (bask in reflected glory)  “My daughter’s boyfriend’s uncle is a millionaire”  following on celebrity gossip  Comparison (suffer pain of comparison)  You’re a great student, and in comparison I suck o Whether we “bask” or “suffer” depends on three factors  Own performance relative to other (better/worse)  “closeness” of other to self  not necessarily friendship  similarity to you  importance of performance domain to self  you’re a better musician than me… if music is important to you, it matters. o Predictions of SEM  We “bask” when close others do better than us in domains that are NOT important to us  We “suffer” when close others do better than us in domains that ARE important to us  How do we maintain our self esteem?  We alter our closeness to others who do better than us in domains important to us (distance person)  Or  We reduce the importance of the domain to our self- concept (make “music” less important to me)  Other ways we self enhance  We avoid “upward” social comparisons o People that do better than me  We devalue things we are not good at  We choose situations and tasks in which we can shine  We inflate our contributions to successful joint efforts o Also deflate contributions to unsuccessful joint efforts…  We remind ourselves of things we are good at or value  We engage in self serving attributional biases  Self verification  maintain a stable, consistent self view (Swan)  How do we self verify?  We create environments that confirm our self view o We display “identity cues” to others  Athletic clothes, sexy clothes o We affiliate with others who confirm our self views o We interact with others so as to confirm our self views  We “see” and “remember” information that confirms our self views  Another self enhancement strategy: self handicapping  Creating alternative (nonability) attributions for poor performances  Ex: going out drinking before a midterm, so you can say “well, what do you expect? I got a bad score because I went out… not because I’m not smart/didn’t care.”  If you go all out on something and fail, it hurts your self esteem  Occurs when  Person is uncertain about future performance  Poor performance would threaten self concept  Types of self handicapping  Behavioral  creation of genuine handicaps to successful behavior  Excuse making  claiming excuses for poor performances Lecture 6 Self and Motivation: Conclusion and Social Thinking 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Last class review  Two main motivations of the self o Self enhancement o Self verification  How do we self verify? o We create environments that confirm our self view  We display “identity cues”  We affiliate with others who see us as we see ourselves o We “see” and “remember” information that confirms our self views o Self enhance or self verify?  For people with positive self views  Motivations are consistent  What about people with negative self views?  Motivations clash  Prefer self enhancing feedback (feel goods)  But find self verifying feedback most credible, accurate o Self presentation  We are also motivate to “self present”  to control others’ impressions of ourselves  Can be automatic or deliberate o Self monitoring (Snyder)  Individuals differ in their orientation toward self- presentation  High self monitor (pragmatic)  Read social scene/social cues  Actors = high self monitors  Low self monitor (principled)  More concerned with behavior fitting internal attitudes  Consistent with internal monitors o Self regulation  Process by which we seek to control [regulate] our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors  High self control capacity is a good predictor of future success  Ex: young kids  piece of candy now, or wait 20 minutes have 5 pieces of candy  Why do you think that is?  Long term vs. short term goal oriented  Can self control be used up?  Baumeister experiments  IV o Pp randomly assigned to do task 1 that does or does not require exercise of self control  DV o Everyone does second task that requires self control o How much self control is shown on task 2?  Results o People who had to use self control on task 1 show less self control on task 2 (ex: persist less, eat more cookies)  Why?  Baumeister’s energy model of self control o Theory  Self control, like a muscle, gets tired with use  Exercising self control uses up glucose in the body just like physical exercise does o Hypothesis  Ingesting glucose will improve self control o Results  People whose self control was “depleted” on task 1 persisted longer on task 2 IF given sugared lemonade but NOT if given diet lemonade  BUT is glucose actually depleted by exercising self control? NEW FINDINGS  Replicated Baumeister studies but measured blood glucose before and after doing task 1  Results o People again showed less self control on task 2 if they had to exercise self control on task 1 o BUT blood glucose was unaffected by self control task  Further studies show  “depleted” people who merely rinsed their mouth with glucose (vs. diet sweetener) showed enhanced self control on second task  conclusion o decreased MOTIVATION causes the drop in self control, not decreased glucose  social thinking  social perception – process by which people come to understand other people o active o subjective o important o Blink! Malcolm Gladwell  First impressions occur very quickly  Nalini Ambady:  People form impressions based on “thin slices” of behavior  Can predict important outcomes  Political elections, teacher ratings, etc.  Trait negativity bias – negative information ahs a stronger impact on impression formation than positive information  nonverbal behavior influences impressions o facial expressions o body language o eye contact or gaze o physical touch  ted talk video o amy cuddy  Lecture 7 – Social Thinking 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  three models of the social perceiver  rational model  automatic model  cognitive miser model o we can’t process all the info coming into our senses at any moment o we do some things on autopilot  social thinking is biased  we often exhibit biases in our social perceptions  BUT biases do not necessarily result in error  Bias 1  we confirm our beliefs o We tend to seek, perceive, interpret, and remember information that verifies our existing beliefs (preconceptions, expectancies, schemas) o Examples  We remember things that didn’t occur  Amadou Diallo murder (thought he was going for gun, but was reaching for wallet)  Confirmatory hypothesis-testing  Introvert/extrovert study  Interviewing job candidates (tend to ask questions that would elicit responses based on whether or not he said introvert or extrovert)  Belief perseverance  Bogus feedback study  College students given test and told typical college student answer amount; “you’re well above average”  “jk, completely inaccurate test”  people told did well, thought they really did well (and vice versa)  Bias 2  we often don’t know why we do what we do o We don’t realize the effects of some actors  Ex: primacy effects  Information presented early tends to have more impact on impressions than information presented later in a sequence  Why? Once impression formed, leads to:  Selective attention  Selective interpretation o Priming effects  Concepts and words that come to mind easily can influence us without our awareness  Example:  Is Donald brave or reckless?  Flashed words below levels of perceptual awareness “reckless, brave, etc.”  Bias 3  we use mental shortcuts that lead to errors o If Fred a psychologist or a lawyer?  You go to a party where 70% of people are academic psychologists, and 30% are lawyers  You meet Fred and learn that he belongs to a country club, is loud, quarrelsome, and wears flashy clothes  We automatically think he’s a lawyer o Representativeness heuristic  We judge likelihood according to how well people match or represent a prototype  Underuse base-rates o Availability heuristic  We judge likelihood of events in terms of how easily they come to mind  Vivid information is overly persuasive  Which is more dangerous? Air travel or car travel (most people say air… false)  Buyer’s guide info or personal experience of a friend?  Bias 4  we are swayed by illusions of causation and control o We perceive cause where only correlation exists o We perceive control where none exists  Lottery ticket studies  Give it to a person vs. person taking ticket themselves  I wanna buy your lottery ticket back… the students that chose numbers themselves wanted 4x the amount  Bias 5  we over estimate how much others think like us o False consensus effect  Would you wear an “eat at joe’s” billboard around campus?  How many of your peers would say yes too?  Bias 6  wrong beliefs can generate their own reality o Self fulfilling prophecy  Examples  Rosenthal and Jacobson’s (1968) “Pygmalion in the Classroom” study  Late bloomers in the classroom (track kids’ performance, kids who randomly identified as late bloomers did better in school)  Perceived beauty can lead to nicer behavior  Men on phone with woman (half pics HOT, half pics NOT HOT)  Behaved differently on phone with girl he thought was cute… she behaved differently too  Three step process  Perceiver’s expectations  perceiver’s behavior toward the target  target’s behavior toward perceiver  perceiver’s expectations confirmed  When can self fulfilling prophecy be circumvented?  When perceiver is highly motivated to know the truth/be accurate  When perceiver has less power than the target  When target is informed of expectancy and motivated not to confirm it  Attributions  WHY did he/she do that? o Attributions  perceived causes or explanations for behavior  Enable us to predict behavior  Often triggered by unexpected and negative events  Main dimensions of attributions o Locus  is cause of behavior due to person (internal) or situation (external)? o Stability  is cause unchanging or subject to change? o Controllability  is the cause something that is under the person’s control or not?  Attributions have important consequences o For example:  Judgments of guilt or innocence  Expectations for the future  Emotional reactions (pride, shame)  Responses to poor, victims  How do we make attributions? (in textbook) o Classic theories  Jones and Davis (Correspondent Inference Theory)  Goal of perceiver is to figure out if people’s actions are a result of their internal dispositions  Attributions affected by  Person’s degree of choice  Expectedness of the behavior  Ex: person kidnapped, hijacking bank (forced, believing the cause, etc.)  Kelley: Covariation Theory  See graph in textbook  Causal schema model  When they don’t have lots of information, people use: o Discounting principle  Given attribution for a behavior is REDUCED when another FACILITATIVE cause is present  Ex: Someone getting a job because dad’s the CEO o Augmenting principle  Given attribution for a behavior is ENHANCED when another INHIBITING cause is present  Ex: someone moved from mail room to #1 salesman in 18 months… btw in a wheelchair  Attribution biases o Attributions are not always rational  Example  Self serving attributional bias  tendency to attribute our own positive outcomes to internal factors (us) and our negative outcomes to external (situational) factors  We do well on test (it’s us), we do poorly (it’s the teacher/test)  Fundamental attribution error  When we explain other people’s behavior we tend to: o Overestimate the role of personal factors o Overlook the impact of situations  Example: speechwriting (assigned position vs. really believing position) Lecture 8 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Social Perception  Attribution biases o Self serving attributional bias  I did well on the test because I’m smart and studied  I did poorly on the test because it was written badly  In order to protect self esteem o Fundamental attribution error  When you see somebody do something, you overestimate that it was them, their personality, their beliefs that caused them to behave that way  Overlook situational/societal causes that make that person act as such  Pro/anti Castro speech  A western bias?  East Asian cultures = more sensitive/interdependent/collective; do not fall prey to fundamental attribution error (as much as Americans)  More aware of situational things that affect behavior o Actor observer bias  If you’re watching me and I’m watching you  Actor thinking about world, external/situational factors  Observer watching actor (internal factors) o Gilbert’s two step mode of attribution process  Person attributions are “automatic”  Actor is salient  Requires cognitive resources to pay attention to situational influences  FAE more likely to occur when people are distracted, busy  Attitudes and Persuasion  Examples of attitudes o What do you feel about Obama? o Are chocolate chip cookies better with or without nuts? o What are your views on the quarter/semester system? o Definition: always have a target/object  Attitude  a favorable or unfavorable evaluative reaction toward something or someone, exhibited in o Beliefs o Feelings o Or intended behavior  Intention =/= action  Measuring attitudes o Self report  Ask people, 1-10 scale, etc. o Behavioral  What you say is different than what you do  Do you like this person? Say yes, but sit far away from them o Physiological  People attach electrodes to face and take EMG  Facial muscles to measure smile/frown muscles  Amygdala  involved with emotional reactions to things o reaction time (implicit attitude test)  split second decisions  people are different in regards to timing when associating good and bad  being used with self as object  measures self esteem  implicit vs. explicit self esteem (discrepancies)  do attitudes predict behavior? o Less strongly than we might think… o Example  Chinese couple up and down coast  Email would you serve Chinese customers?  90% said no o WHEN do attitudes predict behavior?  When other influences on behavior are minimized  Social desirability concerns  Cash paying customer/want business  Has white customer next to them  Bogus pipeline study (Sigall and colleagues, 1971)  Make people think taking lie detector test  makes people more honest because they don’t want to be caught lying  Lie detector works because people THINK it works  When the attitude is specific to the behavior  Asked attitudes toward environment (pro/anti)  Do you drive a hybrid?  Do your attitudes toward the environment shape your behavior? o Other factors: money, biking instead, how far can you drive, etc. o Better to ask specifically: What are your attitudes toward buying a Hybrid next time you purchase a new car?  When the attitude is fresh in one’s mind (cognitively accessible)  When attitude is fresh in mind, most likely to respond behaviorally in line with attitude  When the attitude is strong  Personal experience vs. second hand  A few family cars, heard good things about Priuses, finally rented one and loved it; after personal experience buying car, stronger attitude toward purchasing one  When we are self-aware/self-monitoring  High self-monitor  match behavior to others’ attitudes  Low self-monitor  match behavior to personal attitudes  Can our actions affect our attitudes? o Saying is believing  Get people to behave  set attitudes into line  Ex: Vietnam war, sent presidential administration to Vietnam to support war (even when didn’t believe it)… started to be pro war o Role playing o Doing favors leads to positive attitudes  People say “I did this small favor for someone, must mean I like them.” o Evil acts beget negative attitudes  People say “I did/said this bad thing about someone, must mean I don’t like them/attitudes”  Cognitive dissonance theory o Three main assumptions  1. We seek consistency in our thoughts  2. We feel tension (dissonance) when our attitudes and actions are inconsistent  3. We are motivated to reduce dissonance – easiest way is by changing attitude o Ex: smoking is bad for my health and I want to be healthy  okay, I’ll quit smoking (as opposed to “eh, it isn’t that bad) o Demonstration of cognitive dissonance theory #1  Insufficient justification  Festinger and Carlsmith study (1959)  Come into lab and do really boring, terrible task for HOURS  Told people after task that the experiment is about expectations on performance  Three conditions  Please tell next people to do the experiment that it’s really interesting ($10 vs. $100)  Person went upstairs (how interesting/much fun was the task you were just in)  Completely anonymous… experimenter never see you again  Cognitive dissonance theory  o had insufficient justification for saying it was interesting for a small amount of money. Maybe it really WAS interesting…? o I said it was interesting, but I had sufficient reason for doing it; anyone would say that for $100! o BROUGHT ATTITUDE INTO LINE WITH THAT BEHAVIOR WAS o Demonstrations of cognitive dissonance theory #2  Justification of effort  Aronson and Mills (1959) initiation study  Really interesting group discussing interesting topics; to get into the group, you have to do an initiation type thing  Conditions: o F had to read M risqué words o Explicit sexual passages from novel in front of M experimenter o Initiation thing  Discussion?  Sex life of insects… completely boring  Went through hazing to get into group that was completely wortheless  Asked: how much fun was the experiment?  According to cognitive dissonance theory? o The ones who were embarrassed most  worked really hard = appreciated discussion more (rationalize/justifies effort) o Demonstration of cognitive dissonance theory #3  Dissonance after decision making  Example  If I’m trying to decide between buying Subaru and Honda  look similar, but decide Subaru. BEFORE making decision, almost dead even; AFTER putting money down “Subaru was obviously the better car”  Race track betting study  Do you think your horse is going to win? o Both horse A and horse B look good; leaning towards A barely o Right after put money down: horse A was obviously the best choice; obviously going to win, etc.  Why do our actions affect our attitudes? o Other theories  Self perception theory  Self affirmation theory  What we’re really trying to do is keep ourselves feeling good about ourselves  How do we change attitudes?  Two routes to persuasion o Central  systematic processing  Occurs when people think carefully about a message and are influenced by the strength of the arguments  Persuasion occurs as a result of people’s own thinking (reasoning)  Requires motivation and ability to think systematically  Compared to 10 mediocre arguments… 1 GREAT argument is better o Peripheral  heuristic processing  Occurs when people do not think carefully about a communication, but instead are influenced by cues that are irrelevant to the content or quality of the argument  Credibility  Expertise, trustworthiness, celebrities  The sleeper effect  A delayed impact of a message that occurs when we remember a message that was paired with a discredited source, but forget the reason for discounting it  Occurs a lot in modern day politics o Pure, plain out lies  Counting on the fact the idea will stick o Want fact to stick despite the fact we know it’s false (forgetting it’s a lie, just remember the point)  Attractiveness  Physical appeal (sex sells!)  Similarity  Ex: Marlboro cigarettes, sexy cowboys  Two routes to persuasion (see figure 6.5 in textbook) o Fear appeals motivate  Danger control (accept message)  Fear control (defend against/avoid message) o Strong fear appeals + high efficacy message (what to do) > greatest behavior change Lecture 9 - Conformity 9/27/2012 1:43:00 PM  Conformity  a change in behavior or belief in agreement with others  Compliance  conforming to an implied or explicit request in public while privately disagreeing  Obedience  conforming to an explicit request  Acceptance  conforming that also involves a change in belief  Two kinds of conformity  Informational influence  influence of other people that leads us to conform because we see them as a source of information o Looking to the crowd for answers (trying to find a classroom; following swarms of people) o The wisdom of crowds  Groups of people can have accurate information (when you put all of their individual bits of information together)  Ex: weight of cow  Single guess very inaccurate  Mean guess = VERY accurate (even more accurate than butchers/cow farmers) o Early classic experiment: Sherif (1936)  Participants sat in dark room  Shown a light for 2 seconds
More Less

Related notes for PSY 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit