Humanities
Course
HUM 2
Professor
Nancy Caciola
Semester
Spring

Description
“Contra” ● “Facing” / “across from” ○ Rome, Carthage, and the Mediterranean ● “An alternative” ○ Carthage as a choice for Aeneas ● “Opposed to” ○ Carthage as enemy Found two cities (EMPIREs): Rome and Carthage Carthage became a huge maritime center 1. “Facing” / “across from”: Rome, Carthage, and the Mediterranean a. Punic a.i. War between Rome and Carthage b. Carthage b.i. Geographically at the epicenter, trying to control the mediterranean. c. Rome knows Carthage historically not only as a rival controlling the mediterranean, but also they came here first. d. When Romans are trying to unify the Italian peninsula e. Vergil’s audience know eclipsing Carthage in this way f. Mare nostrum f.i. “Our sea” f.ii. Roman’s sea 2. “An Alternative”: Carthage as an alternative choice for Aeneas a. A city half built, a woman in soft bed, good place a.i. Very tempting b. Try to engineer things so Aeneas would stay there b.i. Juno ● She knows Aeneas is trying to found the greatest city ● If Aeneas stayed in Carthage, Carthage would be the greatest city, and if Aeneas went elsewhere, another city would be greater than her Carthage. c. Dido already lost her formal kingdom, same did Aeneas. c.i. Dido is a female, which makes her very different character comparing to Aeneas ● Able to take a rational path forward, when her emotions come c.i..a. Ruled by passion, rather than rationality c.ii. Aeneas → pious ● Do religion right ● Very controlled, very rational c.iii. Dido → infelix ● Unhappy, ill destinate d. Aeneas made the wrong choice for this alternative d.i. Aeneas is staying in Carthage d.ii. God Mercury comes and tells him this is not w
More Less

Related notes for HUM 2

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit