MMW 15 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Nationstates

73 views4 pages

Document Summary

A century of transformations: demographic revolution (population tripled, rate of population growth has maintained itself and continued to rise in a way that was completely unsustainable in previous period. I(cid:374) (cid:1005)9(cid:1004)(cid:1004), the (cid:373)ajority of the (cid:449)orld"s populatio(cid:374) li(cid:448)ed i(cid:374) europe (1900) england was the only county in the world in which the majority was not peasants living off the land. In 1900 the average life expectancy globally was 45, today it"s 75 yrs. old. In the poorest countries of the world in 1900 it was 25 and today it"s over 60. Increase in life expectancy propels a decrease in birth rate people start investing more in the children they have rise in education levels, more people go to college. How do we tell the story of a century: arbitrary boundaries, no natural coherence. Frameworks for organizing the 20th century: chronological, you kinda get lost. Where do (cid:449)e (cid:374)eed to i(cid:373)pro(cid:448)e: centuries mark moments for us to reflect and evaluate ourselves.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers