PSYC 6 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: David Buss, Married People, Coursework

22 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

If we modify our expectations and socialization practices, sex differences would subside. People who fail to satisfy this need have higher mortality rates a. ii. Poorer immune functioning, higher blood pressure, depression a. v. Divorced men drink more; divorced women lose more hair: similarity, birds of a feather flock together (similarity) vs opposites attract (complementarity), research overwhelmingly supports b. i. Not complementary: lovers and spouses are far more likely than randomly paired people to share common attitudes/beliefs/values. The greater the similarity, the happier they are and the less likely they are to divorce c. i. The desire for similar mates far outweighs the desire for attractive mates. Birds of a feather flock together: including smart birds; hot birds; rich birds; republican birds; atheist birds; educated birds (buston and emlen) c. iii. Slightly higher satisfaction (m=5. 63) than for currently married people who met their spouse offline (m=5. 47) Ability to cooperate with one another: you don"t want: b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers