BSC 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Covalent Bond, Cellulose, Glycogen

29 views4 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 3 life chemistry and energy (cont. : macromolecules are large molecules formed by covalent linkages of smaller molecules a. i. 1. 4 types of macromolecules typically found in living organisms a. i. 1. a. All of the above types of macromolecules with the exception of lipids are polymers a. i. 2. a. called monomers. Polymers are created by the covalent linkage of smaller molecules a. i. 2. b. Formed and broken apart in reactions involving water a. i. 2. b. i. Condensation removal of water creates covalent bond between monomers a. i. 2. b. ii. Hydrolysis addition of water breaks covalent bond between monomers b. Carbohydrates - large group of molecules with similar compositions, but differ in several important properties b. i. 1. Monosaccharides covalently bonded by condensation reactions that form glycosidic linkages b. v. Polysaccharides - large polymers of monosaccharides, sometimes have branching chains b. vi. 1. Starches family of polysaccharides of glucose b. vi. 2. Glycogen highly branched polymer of glucose; main energy storage molecule in mammals b. vi. 3. Cellulose most abundant carbon-containing (organic) biological compound on earth; stable; good structural material c.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers