Fall 2017

Department
Microbiology and Cell Science
Course Code
MCB 3020
Professor
Abdolkarim Asghari
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
9/9/2017
Microbiology Lecture 7Exam One
Growth is effected by temperature and pH
Effects of NaCl on Growth
Halophiles: grow optimally at >0.2 M
Extreme halophiles: require >2 Mrequire high salt concentrations
Effects of pH on growth
Aidophiles’ Alkalophiles withstad high/low pH
Most maintain an internal pH near neutrality
o Plasma membrane is impermeable to protons
o Some synthesize protective proteins
E.g., acid-shock proteins
o Many change pH of their habitat by producing acidic/basic products
o Most media contain buffers to prevent growth inhibition
Temperature
Organisms exhibit distinch cardinal growth temperatures
o Minimalfarthest left and low on graph
o Maximalfurthest right side and low on graph
o OptimalGrows best here. Optimum is highest height on graph
Oxygen Concentration
Consumption of oxygen can result in toxic by- product like peroxides, super oxides, free radicals
Whoever grows in presence of oxygen must have enzymes like SOD, Catalase (neutralizes
peroxides)
Strict anaerobecannot live in presence of oxygen
Obligate aerobecan live in presence of oxygen
Facultativegrow better in presence of oxygen
Sources of Carbon, Energy and Electrons
Cells must have a carbon, energy and electron source
Fix CO2 absorption from environmentAutotrophs
Heterotrophs carbon sources are organic
Energy sources: Phototrophs (light), chemotrophs (oxidation of organic inorganic compounds)
Electron sources: Lithotrophs (reduced inorganic molecules), Organotrophs (organic molecules)
Nutritional Types of Microorganisms
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
9/9/2017 Microbiology Lecture 7—Exam One • Growth is effected by temperature and pH Effects of NaCl on Growth • Halophiles: grow optimally at >0.2 M • Extreme halophiles: require >2 M—require high salt concentrations Effects of pH on growth • Acidophiles’ Alkalophiles withstand high/low pH • Most maintain an internal pH near neutrality o Plasma membrane is impermeable to protons o Some synthesize protective proteins ▪ E.g., acid-shock proteins o Many change pH of their habitat by producing acidic/basic products o Most media contain buffers to prevent growth inhibition Temperature • Organisms exhibit distinch cardinal growth temperatures o Minimal—farthest left and low on graph o Maximal—furthest right side and low on graph o Optimal—Grows best here. Optimum is highest height on graph Oxygen Concentration • Consumption of oxygen can result in toxic by- product like peroxides, super oxides, free radicals • Whoever grows in presence of oxygen must have enzymes like SOD, Catalase (neutralizes peroxides) • Strict anaerobe—cannot live in presence of oxygen • Obligate aerobe—can live in presence of oxygen • Facultative—grow better in presence of oxygen Sources of Carbon, Energy and Electrons • Cells must have a carbon, energy and electron source • Fix CO2 absorption from environment—Autotrophs • Heterotrophs carbon sources are organic • Energy sources: Phototrophs (light), chemotrophs (oxidation of organic inorganic compounds) • Electron sources: Lithotrophs (reduced inorganic molecules), Organotrophs (organic molecules) Nutritional Types of Microorganisms • Major ones: o Photolithoautotroph. Carbon source: CO2. Energy source: light. Electron source: inorganic e- source o Chemolithoautotroph. Carbon source: CO2. Energy source: inorganic molecules. Electron source: inorganic e- donors Biofilms • Ubiquitous in nature • Complex, slime enclosed colonies attached to surfaces • Form on medical devices such as impoants often lead to illness • Microbes reversibly attach to conditioned surface and release polysaccharides, proteins, and DNA-Biofilm is produced • Interactions occur among attached organisms • Extracellular matrix and change in attached organisms, and protects them from UV light and antibiotics • Sloughing off of organisms result in contamination of surroundings Cell deposits and absorb process: 1. Substratum preconditioning to ambient molecules 2. Cell deposition 3. Cell adsorption 4. Desorption 5. Cell-to-cell signaling and onset of exopolymer production 6. Convection and diffusive transport of O2 and nutrients 7. Replication and growth 8. Secretion of polysacch
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit