ARHI 2300 Lecture 12: arts12

17 views2 pages

Document Summary

Built by king ashoka as part of a monastery. Ki(cid:374)g ashoka disi(cid:374)terred buddha"s re(cid:373)ai(cid:374)s a(cid:374)d spread the(cid:373) throughout i(cid:374)dia. Four gateways (toranas) are placed around the great stupa exactly at the cardinal points. Pilgrims enter through the east gate and circle the stupa in a clockwise direction, simulating the path of the sun. Stupas and gateways represent a three-dimensional mandala (re-creation of the universe) Covered with scenes from jatakas (lives of buddha) Buddha not shown but represented by empty throne and footprints. Part of a complex of twenty-nine caves carved into a cliff in ajanta, in western india. Caves are filled with buddhist sculpture and paintings. This painting shows a bodhisattva, one who has achieved nirvana but instead chooses to help others. Lotus flower (cid:894)i(cid:374) pad(cid:373)apa(cid:374)i"s ha(cid:374)d(cid:895) a common symbol in buddhist art due to its ability to grow from mud into something beautiful. Part of large temple complex in khajuraho, northern india.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers