PSYC 4240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Sertraline, Ethnocentrism, Intellectual Disability

21 views4 pages

Document Summary

Problem of directionality (i. e. break-ups and depression; substance use and impulsivity) We can"t really assign people to certain groups (smoking vs. not smoking; have a psych disorder, don"t have one) Study incidence, prevalence, and course of disorders; searching for clues. Incidence: # of new cases during a specified time. Prevalence: # of people with a disorder at any given time. Distribution: more or less common in certain populations. What factors are associated with frequency of disorders (i. e. gender, ses, certain behaviors) Goal of epidemiological work is to find clues for the etiology. Manipulation of iv (i. e. therapy or not; meds or not; levels of exercise) Attempt to establish a causal relationship (since you"ve accounted for confounds) Needed to show that iv is responsible for changes. Instead of a sugar pill, you may want to give them drugs that give them the same side- effects of the treatment group.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers