PSCH 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Group Psychotherapy, Racing Thoughts, Major Depressive Disorder

37 views4 pages
3 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course
Psychology Notes 10/4/2016
I. Medical Model
Way of thinking about disorders and treatment
Behavior is a mere symptom; diagnose underlying cause (at level of mind or brain)
II. Alternative (lack of) skills model
Hae’t et leaed to ope ith 
Is mental Illness over diagnosed?
The new manual adds a number of new diagnoses, however, includes mild
neurocognitive impairment. May make normal symptoms and such an illness.
III. A five or more of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-
week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the
symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest of pleasure
1. Depressed mood most of the day
2. Markedly diminished interest in activities
3. Significant weight loss or gain
4. Insomnia or hypersomnia
5. Restlessness
6. Fatigue
7. Feeling of worthlessness
…ot ette aouted fo  Beeaot
Disorders: Two types of Things that can go wrong/two levels of analysis
I. First, a computer analogy
1. Emotion—Belief “stes goe og
Anxiety, disorders, and symptoms
Cognitive functioning breaks down: Schizophrenia
Mood/emotion systems
“oftae of id eliefs
Hardware of Brain
Anxiety Disorders (*)
Panic disorder
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Social phobia (or social anxiety disorder)
Specific phobias and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
Common theme: (*)
Panic Disorder (*)
Sudden experiences, rapid onset of extreme anxiety that includes physiological affects
of society
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Way of thinking about disorders and treatment. Behavior is a mere symptom; diagnose underlying cause (at level of mind or brain) Ha(cid:448)e(cid:374)"t (cid:455)et lea(cid:396)(cid:374)ed to (cid:272)ope (cid:449)ith (cid:454) The new manual adds a number of new diagnoses, however, includes mild neurocognitive impairment. May make normal symptoms and such an illness. Disorders: two types of things that can go wrong/two levels of analysis. First, a computer analogy: emotion belief (cid:455)ste(cid:373)s (cid:862)go(cid:374)e (cid:449)(cid:396)o(cid:374)g(cid:863) Specific phobias and generalized anxiety disorder (gad) Sudden experiences, rapid onset of extreme anxiety that includes physiological affects of society. Sudden terrors of attacks of terror, usually accompanied by a pounding heart, sweatiness, weakness, faintness, or dizziness, I(cid:374)(cid:272)ludes fea(cid:396) of o(cid:374)e"s o(cid:449)(cid:374) u(cid:374)e(cid:454)plai(cid:374)ed ph(cid:455)si(cid:272)al s(cid:455)(cid:373)pto(cid:373)s; (cid:271)elief that o(cid:374)e is ha(cid:448)i(cid:374)g a hea(cid:396)t atta(cid:272)k, losi(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s (cid:373)i(cid:374)ds, o(cid:396) o(cid:374) the (cid:448)e(cid:396)ge of death. (cid:862)it s(cid:272)a(cid:396)es me when my heart (cid:271)eats (cid:396)apidl(cid:455)(cid:863) Persistent, upsetting thoughts (obsessions) and rituals (compulsions) The rituals relive the anxiety produced by the thoughts.

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers