COMM 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Pizza Hut, Ad Hominem, Begging

21 views3 pages
Theory and Practice of Argument
Exam one
Types of Fallacy
Ad Hominem: Argument against the person- rejecting a claim based on the character of the person
making the claim
Tu Quogue: appeal to hypocrisy
o Responding to a charge with counterchange that points out that it conflicts with his or
her past statements or actions,
o EX. Jimmy Swaggert argues strongly against sexual immorality, yet he has had several
affairs with prostitutes; therefore, sexual immortality is acceptable
False appeals to authority: assuming a claim is factual because someone with high credibility makes it
Someone with high credibility but not in the sphere you are talking about
False choice/dilemma:
I thought ou ee a good peso, ut ou ee’t at huh toda
You ae eithe ith us o the teoists
You a ush ou teeth o o i 5 iutes
We a hae doios o pizza hut- clearly there are many other places to eat
You have other options- these are not the only choices you have
Ad populum: appeal to popularity
Justifying a claim because it is popular
If ou fieds juped off a idge, ould ou?- Yes, because it is popular
Post Hoc: After this, therefore because of this
Rhetorical fallacy: you blame a random event for that problem
The fridge broke when Rachel moved in- she is not the reason the bridge broke
Appeal to pity: appealig to spath/opassio he it’s ot eleat to aguet
EX.  I desee a A eause I studied though a fueal ad passed up heat tasplat suge- not
relevant to the argument to the letter grade
Fallacy of Composition/division
Composition: because the parts of a whole have a particular attribute, the entire whole must have an
attribute
ou like all of these foods, ou ould like the all togethe
I like ashed potatoes ad o, ut I do’t atuall like them together
Division: because the whole has a particular attribute, so must its particular parts
Our team is unbeatable: any one of our players could take on a player from the other team and out shine
him
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Jimmy swaggert argues strongly against sexual immorality, yet he has had several affairs with prostitutes; therefore, sexual immortality is acceptable. False appeals to authority: assuming a claim is factual because someone with high credibility makes it: someone with high credibility but not in the sphere you are talking about. You have other options- these are not the only choices you have. Justifying a claim because it is popular (cid:862)if (cid:455)ou(cid:396) f(cid:396)ie(cid:374)ds ju(cid:373)ped off a (cid:271)(cid:396)idge, (cid:449)ould (cid:455)ou? (cid:863)- yes, because it is popular. Post hoc: after this, therefore because of this. Rhetorical fallacy: you blame a random event for that problem. The fridge broke when rachel moved in- she is not the reason the bridge broke. Appeal to pity: appeali(cid:374)g to s(cid:455)(cid:373)path(cid:455)/(cid:272)o(cid:373)passio(cid:374) (cid:449)he(cid:374) it"s (cid:374)ot (cid:396)ele(cid:448)a(cid:374)t to a(cid:396)gu(cid:373)e(cid:374)t. Ex. (cid:862) i dese(cid:396)(cid:448)e a(cid:374) a (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause i studied th(cid:396)ough a fu(cid:374)e(cid:396)al a(cid:374)d passed up hea(cid:396)t t(cid:396)a(cid:374)spla(cid:374)t su(cid:396)ge(cid:396)(cid:455)(cid:863)- not relevant to the argument to the letter grade.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers