BIO 370 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Brachydactyly, Allele Frequency, Population Genetics

60 views4 pages
17 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
The Genetics of Populations
Critis attaked Medel’s olusios o ultiple grouds
Medel’s results did ot see to eplai ariatio i otiuousl ariale traits.
That such traits were usually controlled by multiple loci and the consequences
thereof was not understood.
Later in the course
Mendelian inheritance did not explain frequency of observed discrete traits in nature.
Early criticisms were grounded in transmission genetics rather than population
genetics.
It was unclear whether a Mendelia sste of iheritae ould e osistet ith Dari’s
theory of evolution by natural selection.
E.g., a cross of 2 heterozygotic parents produces offspring in the typical 3:1 ratio (transmission
genetics).
Steeped in transmission genetics thought, some concluded that dominant traits should also
approach 3:1 ratios in nature.
The genetics of brachydactyly illustrate the difference between transmission genetics and
population genetics.
Brachydactyly is a malformation of the fingers.
Inherited as a single locus and two alleles (B and b, where B is dominant, producing the
malformation.)
BB and Bb individuals have brachydactyly.
Children of Bb x Bb
parents exhibit
brachydactyly in a
3:1 ratio.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Criti(cid:272)s atta(cid:272)ked me(cid:374)del"s (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)lusio(cid:374)s o(cid:374) (cid:373)ultiple grou(cid:374)ds: me(cid:374)del"s results did (cid:374)ot see(cid:373) to e(cid:454)plai(cid:374) (cid:448)ariatio(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)uousl(cid:455) (cid:448)aria(cid:271)le traits, that such traits were usually controlled by multiple loci and the consequences thereof was not understood. Later in the course: mendelian inheritance did not explain frequency of observed discrete traits in nature, early criticisms were grounded in transmission genetics rather than population genetics. It was unclear whether a mendelia(cid:374) s(cid:455)ste(cid:373) of i(cid:374)herita(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:272)ould (cid:271)e (cid:272)o(cid:374)siste(cid:374)t (cid:449)ith dar(cid:449)i(cid:374)"s theory of evolution by natural selection. E. g. , a cross of 2 heterozygotic parents produces offspring in the typical 3:1 ratio (transmission genetics). Steeped in transmission genetics thought, some concluded that dominant traits should also approach 3:1 ratios in nature. The genetics of brachydactyly illustrate the difference between transmission genetics and population genetics. Inherited as a single locus and two alleles (b and b, where b is dominant, producing the malformation. ) Children of bb x bb parents exhibit brachydactyly in a.