HOD-1250 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Guilford Press, Telepathy, Cognitive Therapy

31 views3 pages

Document Summary

Schema: internal cognitive structures that we construct to organize or interpret our experiences. Assimilation: when we interpret new experiences in terms of existing schema. Accommodation: when we modify existing schema to better fit new experiences. Past experiences and current beliefs influence perception. Cognitive distortions (beck: overgeneralization: you make a sweeping negative conclusion that goes far beyond the current situation. Example: [because i felt uncomfortable at the meeting] i don"t have what it takes to make friends. : all-or-nothing thinking (also called black-and-white, polarized, or dichotomous thinking. You view a situation in only two categories instead of on a continuum. Example: if i"m not a total success, i"m a failure. : catastrophizing (also called fortune telling): you predict the future negatively without considering other, more likely outcomes. Example: i"ll be so upset, i won"t be able to function at all. : personalization: you believe others are behaving negatively because of you, without considering more plausible explanations for their behavior.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers