CHEM 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Nonmetal, Robert Andrews Millikan, Natural Number

52 views2 pages
29 Oct 2015
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Matter separates into: mixtures: can be separated into parts easily, homogeneous i. ii. Particles are the same no matter where you lookuniform. Always have the same composition: heterogeneous i. Particles aren"t the samenot uniform: pure substances: cannot be easily separated, elements i. 118, 90 natural: pure, one type of atom, compounds: it"s pure, but it"s a mixture of multiple elements which are always the same. Cannot be separated (the difference between homogenous mixtures). Atoms: ~10-10m atoms of different elements are all different: law of conservation: energy can"t be created nor destroyed, mass of reactants=mass of products- anton lavoisier, law of definite proportions: pure chemical substances always have the same formula/elements- Joseph proust: law of multiple proportions: elements can combine in different ways. Mass ratios are small where whole numbers are multiples of each other- john dalton: ex: water- h2o hydrogen peroxide- h2o2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers