PSYC 460 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Edward Thorndike, Operant Conditioning, Puzzle Box

17 views2 pages

Document Summary

Behavior operates on the environment stimulus (reinforcer) creates pleasure (reinforcement) If the response in the presence of a stimulus is followed by a satisfying event, the association between the stimulus and the response is strengthened. If the response is followed by an annoying event, the association is weakened. If my behavior creates pleasure, then do it again . Discriminative stimulus (sd) responses are reinforced or punished in the presence of the discriminative stimulus. Typically environmental stimuli that meet basic human needs. I. e. food, water, sexual stimulation, relief from hot/cold, social contact, sensory stimulation. S = no reward will be delivered in that context. I. e. rat turning clockwise in dark and counterclockwise in light to get rewards. Have not been arranged by someone for purpose of modifying behavior. Expected or usual consequence in a particular setting. Intrinsic examples feeling good for doing a good deed. Extrinsic examples getting a piece of candy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers