MGMT20001 Final: Exam Notes: Week 3 content in relation to team

43 views2 pages
L3:Perception,Attribution&Decision
Making
Ithinkattributionoccurredinmyownmind.Iaccountalotofthesuccessofmyteam
assignmenttomyowndoingasIpickedupalotofslackforotherteammembers,andIliketo
focusalotonwhatmyotherteammembersdidwrong.Iattributedthelackofstandardinthe
5thteammember’sworktoadissatisfactionwiththedecidedprocessofcompletingtheproject.
ThisisselfservingofmetodothisbecauseitgivesmetheideathatI’mmorecorrectthanthe
restofmyteam.
Biases/attributionerrors:
 Confirmationbias:seeingthe5thteammembershowoutwarddisagreeancewithour
decidedprocessconfirmedmysuspicisionsthathewouldnotbeateamplayer.Ithinkit
alsoconfirmedsuspicionsfortheinformalgroupof3thathewouldnotbecooperative
andtheythereforedistancedthemselvesfromhim.
 Haloeffect:thegroupassumedthatbecausethe5thgroupmemberwasnotgoodat
agreeingwiththerestofthegroup,thathewouldnotbegoodatcompletingtheproject
itself
 Anchoring:othergroupmembersshoweddisregardforinternationalstudents,implying
theyarenotabletocompleteprojectstoashigherstandardsoflocalstudents.They
usedthisinitialpieceofinformationaboutthe5thmemberasayardstickforsubsequent
experienceswiththememberdisregardinghisopinions,distancingthemselvesfrom
him,etc.
 Availability:theinformationofthe5thmemberbeinginternationalstudentwasreadily
availabletothemandwaswhatjudgementsofthe5thmemberwerebasedon
 Escalationofcommitment:iexperiencedthismyself,aswhenweintitiallydecidedtoa
certainwaytocompletingtheproject,andthenthe5thmembershoweddisagreeance,
wedisregardedhisopinionandescalatedourcommitmenttoourchosenprocess.Later,
Ifoundmyselfnotthinkingthewaywewerecompletingtheprojectwasmostbeneficial
butinspiteofthisnegativeinformation,myincreasedcommitmenttothisinitialdecision
keptmedoingit.
 Nondecisionmaking:onememberofourgrouphaddonethesubjectbeforeand
droppedouthalfwaythrough,andweusedhisoldteamcontractaswellasexamplesof
teamcontractsasthebasisforourownteamcontractanddidn’treallymakeany
decisionsourselves.Takenforgrantedconventions.
TheDoublecurse:occurredwiththethreemembersintheinformalgroupwhocouldhave
improvedtheirworkethicbutwereunawareoftheirincompetenciesandignoredallsignsof
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class