MGMT2100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Display Rules, Emotional Labor, Decision-Making

70 views2 pages
21 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Emotions in Business Communication
Traditional View of Emotionality
The Mth of Ratioalit
o Emotions were seen as irrational.
o Managers worked to make emotion-free environments.
View of Emotionality
o Emotions were believed to be disruptive and to interfere with productivity.
No e ko eotios a’t e separated fro the orkplae.
How might emotions affect you and your communication?
Affect the way you see things (noise in the communication process).
Make you under- or overreact.
In itself your eotioal displa a ouiate soethig that ou do’t at to ouiate (a
frown, a smile, etc.)
Emotional Display Rules at Work
Theorists do not agree over whether you can choose the emotions you feel.
However, you can control the ways in which you express your emotions.
Emotion display rules dictate which emotions should and should not be expressed under which
conditions (eg: should not burst out in laughter at a funeral).
Display rules are influenced by:
o Relational expectations (status and familiarity
o Occupational expectations
o Cultural expectations
Anger can be expressed with co-workers, can be slightly leaked to supervisors, but must be almost
completely suppressed with customers.
Cultures with low power distance are more accepting of the expression of anger towards managers.
Display rules with customers are fairly consistent across cultures, with two exceptions.
o French respondents are more accepting of anger expression with customers.
o American respondents report the highest expectation for expressing happiness to customers.
Emotional labour a eploee’s epressio of orgaisatioall desired eotios durig
interpersonal transactions at work.
Emotional dissonance employees have to project one emotion while simultaneously feeling
another. Can lead to burnout.
Types of Emotions:
Felt: the idiidual’s atual eotios
Displayed: required or appropriate emotions
o Surface acting hidig oe’s ier feeligs ad forgoig eotioal epressios i respose
to display rules.
o Deep acting trying to odif oe’s true ier feeligs ased o displa rules.
Emotional Regulation
Emotional regulation is to identify and modify the emotions you feel.
Strategies to change your emotions include thinking about more pleasant things, suppressing
negative thoughts, distracting yourself, reappraising the situation, or engaging in relaxation
techniques.
Emotional Intelligence
Ability to be self-aware recognising own emotions when experienced.
Detect emotions in others
Understand what emotions mean and how they affect people.
Manage emotional cues and information.
Emotions are discrete and functional.
Emotions Communication Information
Intra-individual process you communicate with yourself. How we feel can inform our decisions.
o Ituitio or the gut feelig.
o Sometimes emotions effect our judgments and actions without our conscious awareness.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

How might emotions affect you and your communication: affect the way you see things (noise in the communication process), make you under- or overreact. In itself your e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)al displa(cid:455) (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)ate so(cid:373)ethi(cid:374)g that (cid:455)ou do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)ate (a frown, a smile, etc. ) Theorists do not agree over whether you can choose the emotions you feel: however, you can control the ways in which you express your emotions. Cultures with low power distance are more accepting of the expression of anger towards managers: display rules with customers are fairly consistent across cultures, with two exceptions. French respondents are more accepting of anger expression with customers: american respondents report the highest expectation for expressing happiness to customers. Emotional labour a(cid:374) e(cid:373)plo(cid:455)ee"s e(cid:454)pressio(cid:374) of orga(cid:374)isatio(cid:374)all(cid:455) desired e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)s duri(cid:374)g interpersonal transactions at work. Emotional dissonance employees have to project one emotion while simultaneously feeling another. Felt: the i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s a(cid:272)tual e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)s: displayed: required or appropriate emotions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers