URBS 240 Midterm: Urbs 380 Midterm study guide 2017

8 Pages

Department
Urban Studies
Course Code
URBS 240
Professor
norma rantisi

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
URBS 380 Midterm Study Guide: For multiple choice, true/false questions and short answer, you may be asked about the following concepts or issues: Know the key neo-classical assumptions about markets (as discussed in class) Some key neoclassical assumptions: i. fully-informed, rational actors (producers, users) ii. constant returns to scale (in production) increase in outputs proportional to increase in inputs iii. isotropic plane What is overlooked: Geographic unevenness - how the properties of places can shape their economic evolution Limits to neoclassical assumptions: Increasing Returns to Scale (scale economies): increase in outputs is greater than increase in inputs Know the three different kinds of agglomeration economies what is the difference between them? Which one is significant for innovation? agglomeration economies (localization, urbanization & activity-complex) Localization Economies: benefits that arise from spatial concentration of firms in the same industry. i) shared intermediate inputs ii) labour pooling iii) knowledge spillovers Urbanization Economies: benefits that arise from spatial concentration of a diversity of industries iv) shared intermediate inputs v) diversified labour pool vi) exposure to different ways of doing things Diseconomies of scale increase in outputs is less than increase in inputs. 1/2 Human capital: practical knowledge, acquired skills and learned abilities of that make an individual potentially productive and enhances their value in the marketplace. Comparative advantage - determines which industry serves as export base - definition: the ability of a party to produce at lower opportunity cost than a competitor - differs from absolute advantage: the ability of a party to produce more than a competitor. Know the three assumptions that inform the monocentric city perspective (refer to Kloosterman & Musterd article). Kloosterman, R.C. & Musterd, S. (2001). The Polycentric Urban Region: Towards a Research Agenda. Urban Studies, 38, pp. 623-633. Four key assumptions: central export node (railroad terminal or port) horse-drawn wagon hub-and-spoke streetcar system agglomeration economies As a supply-side strategy for influencing the location choices of firms, tax policy is used to address what kind of costs? Do taxes influence location decisions? Tax Policies - tax subsidies (grant) - tax abatements (reduction in tax) Tax policies - most popular BUT not influential for choice of region Why? Processing costs not so significant. Staples theory vs. 'economic base theory each reflects an export-oriented approach but know the difference between them 2/2If provided with the location quotients, know how to differentiate between non-base and base industries If LQ > 1, then industry is base If LQ < 1 or = 1, then industry is non-base If provided with data, know how to calculate a multiplier effect (know the formula!) & know what the number represents. Multiplier Effect = Non-Base Employment/Base Employment The multiplier effect represents how many non-base workers are employed by the income of base workers. Every base worker creates income that is then spent in the local economy to employ 2.305 non base workers. Multiplier Effect = Base Multiplier 1. Know what a leakage is (as discussed in class and in the Loxley and Lamb reading), and what effect it has on the multiplier.Loxley, J. and Lamb, L. (2007) Export Base Approach In J. Loxley, J. Silver & K. Sexsmith (Eds). Doing Community Economic Development (pp. 19
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit