BIOL 308- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 99 pages long!)

136 views99 pages

Document Summary

Constantly changing but possibility to be stable due to equilibrium between reproduction and mortality. Ecological dynamics: study of processes responsible for biological changes and their net effects on populations, communities and ecosystems. (eg. of a process: forest fire) Ecosystems are complex and diverse limited by physical processes species are functional groups linked through biological interactions. Idea of balance in nature, because those systems are regulated. Translate an ecological problem into a model: simplifying assumptions (e. g. individuals are moving super fast they can be anywhere instantaneously. Mathematics (analytical (pen and paper) or numerical (that require computers) Thus here we are looking at the rate of change of predator, Prey: alga dh/dt = eat/reproduce get eaten die da/dt = reproduce get eaten dp/dt = eat/reproduce dire. Assumption: the predator eats only the herbivore, not the autotroph. The(cid:374) (cid:449)e t(cid:396)a(cid:374)slate all of that i(cid:374)to e(cid:395)uatio(cid:374)s (cid:894)see the slides(cid:895) i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)i(cid:374)g de(cid:374)sity, etc .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers