1 Which one of the following is not related?
1) Joseph Lister and carbolic acid (phenol).
3) Foxglove leaves and salicylic acid.
4) Dropsy and heart failure.
5) James Simpson and chloroform.
2 Which of the following substances can act as both poisons and drugs: 1)a,b,e 2)b,e 3)b,d,e
3 Consider the following statements about the history of aspirin. Which of these are true: 1)a,b,e
2)c,d,e 3)c,d 4)b,d 5)b,e
a) Aspirin was first isolated from the bark of the willow tree.
b) Aspirin is a synthetic derivative of salicylic acid.
c) “Aspirin” can (as “Aspirin”-trade name) be marketed in the U.S. by only one company.
d) “Aspirin” can be marketed in the Canada by any company.
e) Aspirin was introduced in the U.S. at about the same time as heroin.
4 Consider these statements about pain-killers. Which of them are true: 1)a,d 2)a,b 3)b,c 4)b,d,e
a) Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is effective against the inflammation of arthritis.
b) ASA (Aspirin) is effective against inflammatory arthritis.
c) Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause liver problems.
d) Acetaminophen (Tylenol) often causes internal bleeding.
e) Aspirin (ASA) often causes liver problems.
5 Which one of the following is correct concerning the early use of drugs?
1) One of the uses of the Mandrake root was used for the treatment of dropsy (congestive heart failure).
2) Nitrous oxide, “laughing gas”, was often used at parties in the 1800s to give a euphoric effect.
3) Poppy juice was first used by the Arabs around the 16 century.
4) Ether was used by the ancient Egyptians as an anesthetic.
5) Foxglove leaves were found to be useful in the treatment of malaria.
6 Which are correct concerning the patent medicine era: 1)a,d 2)c,e 3)b,d 4)a,c 5)a,b,d
a) Many of these medicines were alcohol-based.
b) Narcotic drugs were added to many of these medicines.
c) They were called patent medicines because their contents were endorsed by the U.S. government.
d) “Patent medicines” were significantly curtailed in the United States with the Food and Drug Act of 1906.
e) Sellers of these medicines were all hanged in 1907.
7 Which one of the following statements concerning ASA and acetaminophen is correct?
1) both cause stomach bleeding
2) both reduce fever
3) both have been associated with Reye’s syndrome
4) ASA increases inflammation but acetaminophen decreases it
5) acetaminophen reduces inflammation but ASA does not
8 How many different kinds of beer did the Sumerians prepare ?
1) Just one, (Rhino 15% Beer)
3) They only drank red wine.
4) They only drank during volcanic activity nearby.
5) They did not need to drink, but still imported beer. 9 Diethylstilbesterol (DES) was taken by pregnant women to prevent miscarriage. This drug
1) blocked the action of estrogen.
2) caused cancer in a disproportionate number of the daughters of DES takers.
3) resulted in the birth of babies with deformed limbs.
4) significantly reduced the number of miscarriages.
5) had no serious side effects.
10 Acetaminophen is more toxic in