ENVR 202 Study Guide - Final Guide: Great Oxygenation Event, Biodiversity Hotspot, Young Earth Creationism

235 views20 pages

Document Summary

Spatial/temporal scales: chance necessity and history d. i. Chance: stochasticity, probabilities that govern the universe d. ii. Necessity: natural laws, some things happen predictable d. iii. History: preceding events affect the probabilities and the outcomes of processes e. 2- patterns in diversity (biodiversity: biodiversity a. i. The variety and variability of life at different levels of biological organization a. i. 1. Linnaeus formalizes the concept of species (morphology-based) b. ii. Groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations, which are reproductively isolated from other such groups : biodiversity hotspot c. i. Must contain at least 0. 5% or 1500 species of vascular plants as endemics c. i. 2. Must have lost at least 70% of primary vegetation c. ii. Support 43% of plant, bird, mammal, reptile & amphibian species: how does biodiversity arise as a result of abiotic factors? d. i. Time + topography + climate -> biodiversity: example of generation of biodiversity thru adaptation e. i. Still in debate why (primary productivity/ larger areas/historical basis : species-area relationship: h. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers