Mathematics & Statistics (Sci)
Course
MATH 222
Professor
Christa Scholtz
Semester
Fall

Description
Math 201-DDB Final Exam May 19, 2009 Page 1 of 4 −5 1. Approximate the given definite integral correct to 5 decimal places (i.e., within ±0.5 × 10): Z 1 1 − cosx 2 dx 0 x ∞ 2 x4 x 6 X x2n 2. A function f(x) has Maclaurin series: 1 + x + + + ▯▯▯ = 1 + 2 4 9 n=1 n find f (k(0) for all positive integer k. 3. (a) Use the binomRal series to find the Maclaurin series for f(x) = arcsinx and its radius of convergence (Hint: arcsinx = x√ dt ). 0 1−t2 (b) Use the series in Part (a) to evaluate the following limit: x − arcsinx lim 3 x→0 x 4. (a) Find the third degree Taylor polynomial T3(x) for the function f(x) = ln(1+2x) centered at a = 1. (b) Use Taylor’s inequality (or Lagrange’s remainder) to estimate the error in using3T (x) to approxi- mate f(x) on the interval [0.5,1.5]. 2 5. Given the curve C having parametric equations: x = 9 − t where t ∈ R y = t − 16t 2 2 i) Find dy/dx and d y/dx . ii) Find the x and y intercepts and coordinates of the points on C where the tangent line is vertical or horizontal. iii) Sketch the graph of C showing the orientation of the curve. iv) The curve forms a loop. Set up, but do not evaluate, the integrals needed to find the area enclosed by the loop and the length of the loop. 6. Given the polar curves r = 1 + 2sinθ and r = 2, do the following: i) Sketch both graphs on the same axes. ii) Find all the points of intersection for θ ∈ [0,2π]. iii) Find the area of the region outside the circle and inside the l¸on. iv) Set up, but do not evaluate, the integral needed to find the length of the inner loop of the lima¸on. 7. Sketch and give the name of the following surfaces: 2 2 2 i) x + y = z + 9 2 2 2 ii) z = 9 − 4x − y √ 8. Let r(t) = ▯sint, 2cost,sint▯. i) Compute the velocity, speed and acceleration. ii) Find the curvature and the tangential and normal components of acceleration. iii) Find an equation of the quadric surface on which this space curve lies. Sketch r(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π. (You might want to sketch the curve on the surface, to help you make a good graph.) 9. Find the limit if it exists or show that it does not exist. x − y 3 3x y (a) lim (b) lim (x,y)→(0,0) + y 3 (x,y)→(0,0)+ y 2 Math 201-DDB Final Exam May 19, 2009 Page 2 of 4 2 2 10. Find the equations of the tangent plane and normal line of the surface x + y + z = 6 at the point P(2,1,1). 2 ∂z 11. If z = f(x,y) is implicitly defined by x z + sin(yz) = y secz, find ∂x. 2 2 2 ∂ z 12. If z = f(x − y ,2xy) find 2. Assume that second order partial derivatives of f are continuous. ∂x 2 3 4 13. Find and classify the critical points of f(x,y) = 6xy − 2x − 3y . 14. Use the method of Lagrange multipliers to find the smallest and largest values of f(x,y) = xy on the circle x + y = 1. 15. Let z = f(x,y) be a surface and f(x,y) = c a level curve on that surface. Show that the gradient of f is always perpendicular to the level curve (Hint: You may want to represent the level curve by the vector equation r(t) = ▯x(t),y(t)▯, and then use the chain rule.). 16. Set up, but do not evaluate, the integral needed to find the volume of the region E lying inside 2 2 x + 4y = 4 , above the xy-plane and below z = 2 − x. Sketch the region. Evaluate the multiple integrals in problems 17–20: Z 9 Z 3 6 17. √ xy siny dydx 0 x Z Z 5 3 18. (x − y) (x + y) dA where R is the triangular region bounded by the coordinate axes and the line R x + y = 1 (Hint: Use an appropriate change of variables). Z Z √ Z 2 4−x2 2 19. (x + y )dzdydx −2 − √4−x2 √ x +y2 Z Z Z r
More Less

Related notes for MATH 222

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit