PSYC 337 Study Guide - Summer 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Schizophrenia, Major Depressive Disorder, Twin Study

98 views152 pages

Document Summary

Dysfunction, meaning an organ system performing contrary to its design (and importantly, not at the peak of its design) That"s why we can"t just say deviant , because deviant could be a good thing (i. e. venus williams is statistically deviant in terms of her physical ability) He would argue that the brain is designed to perform a number of functions. Problems with any of these functions indicates a disorder. Presumes however that we understand everything about how the brain, body, etc. are supposed to function. I. e. , we don"t know enough about the brain, body, etc. Natural selection depends on variability - some variability is necessary and will always be present in a population (i. e. how many people must have this disorder for it to be contrary to the norm ) Some disorders may represent adaptations, not maladaptations (e. g. depression may be an adaptive response to a hopeless situation - clinical depression is just an extreme of the adaptive response)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers