[BIOL 116] - Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam (100 pages long!)

413 views100 pages

Document Summary

Biology 116: meiosis, chapter 12 (learning outcomes: comfortably identify the terminology highlighted in chapter 12 and in. Made up of dna and proteins; holds hereditary info. (genes) A copied chromosome made up of 2 linear structures connected at the centromere. Chromosomes with similar size, shape and gene info. in a diploid organism. # of present chromosomes in gamete or haploid cell (n) # of present chromosomes in a diploid cell (2n) # of diff. types of chromosomes found in a species (x) >2 sets of chromosomes; triploid (2n=3x), tetraploid (2n=3x), hexaploid (2n=6x: describe the steps of meiosis i and ii as well as how chromosomes (and alleles) are distributed into daughter cells. Meiosis is split into 2 parts meiosis i (5 phases) and meiosis ii (4 phases) Early prophase i: chromosomes condense, nuclear envelope breaks up, spindle apparatus forms, synapsis (pairing) of homologous chromosomes results in tetrad (4 chromosomes)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers