ENGL 340 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - French Revolution, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Edmund Burke

71 views24 pages
12 Oct 2018
Department
Course
Professor
ENGL 340
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 24 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

What is romanticism? Usually considered the literary period between 1798-1832. It was defined by
political events such as the French Revolution breaking out in 1789, Napoleonic Wars, Outlawing the
transatlantic slave trade in 1807, the passage of the Great Reform Act in 1832.
Two very influential books still shaping scholarship on Romanticism.
o Jeroe McGa’s The Romantic Ideology: suggests that we are still thinking inside the terms
that Roaticis has set. “truggles to see hat uifies ee the Big “ix Roatic poets.
Realizes that Romanticism one of the very first literary movements that does not seek to find
definitive answers, but prefers an ongoing struggle, agon.
Nicola Watson and Mary Favret, At the Limits of Romanticism: blows the doors open to more voices,
more authors, more fields of study, especially gender. Start of a movement to re-evaluate the Romantic
canon, to include more authors (Hemans) and value more forms of writing (for literary magazines and
other reasons).
The age of the spirit of the age.
By the end of ENGL340, we will be familiar with the careers of the major figures who shape the
landscape of British Romanticism and you will have a detailed knowledge of some of their major texts.
We will understand the intersection between literature, politics and cultural transformation- that is, we
will see how poetry and novels both influenced and were influenced by the historical context that
surrounded them.
Foundational thinkers of Romanticism will be discussed next week. Romantic poets and novelists who
were hugel influential to the Big “i will e disussed the week after net.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Which passage is written by Burke and which by Paine? But the age of chivalry is gone. That of
sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.
This is Buke’s itig, ou a tell  ho a ad epetitie it is. His itig is e daati. He as
very chivalrous to people in need, he would have taken his hat off. Much like how Mr. Zaha donated
oe to the plaes o the oe’s soe tea in the UK, Burke would have done a similar deed.
Edmund Burke: supports the American War of Independence; Attacks the East India Co. and its private
a’s apait i Idia; pophetiall, ealizes that Feh Reolutio e liale ideed to degeeate
ito Teo, o’t suppot.
Fouded ode oseatie thought, ooted i oal, atual la ad este taditio. Autho of A
Philosophial Eui ito the Oigi of Ou Ideas of the “ulie ad Beautiful 757. This tet
discuses the mixed experience of pleasure and pain, attraction and terror. It questioned clarity, arguing
that agueess ad osuit ee oe eoatie tha the uko. This ook as a eolutio i
atisti ad litea thought.
A Whig, and unafraid to champion liberal causes. He defended the rights of colonies, especially America.
He opposed the control shown over parliament by allies of George III, supported the cause of Irish
Catholics, campaigned for the emancipation of British India and abolition of the slave trade. A
reputatio as a oato: the ost elouet a of his tie: his isdo as geate tha his
elouee.
The French Revolution was meant to introduce a new order of things based on a rationalistic philosophy
which he deemed as bogus. He saw man as essentially evil and in need of strict regulation. He believed
in judgements derived from the reason of the ages.
Refletios sold 30,000 copies in the first 2 years; it was translated to French and German, with
arguments that became common currency in ideological discourse in the 1790s. His work inspired other
such as Coleridge and Hazlitt.
The Sublime: essentially, more feelings than the body can contain. The climax of a symphony
performance, the height of a song, etc. Represents the strongest emotions of the human mind, such as a
storm or the human experience of isolation (a vast ocean, etc.). Things that basically scare us and make
us feel uncomfortable, but we still enjoy them. An epiphany is a very sublime feeling; trying to write a
paper and you finally find the idea you were looking for, this overwhelming knowledge at once.
Present in several 18th etu thikes’ ok. Fasiatio ith the sulie is used to ap the shift
from Neoclassicism to Romanticism.
The sulie is pooked  geat ad teile object, while a sense of the beautiful is aroused by small
ad pleasig oes. The fist aouses ou adiatio, the seod ou loe… this distitio Is shapeed
 a ooplae assoiatio of the foe ith e ad the latte ith oe. The Roatic
sublime is identified with emotion, genius, spontaneity, imagination, the individual-all those things that
eeed a liteatue ased o ules ad oetio.
Burke’s Aestheti ad Politial Writigs:
A Philosophial Euiy… Of the Sulie ad Beautiful: to make anything very terrible, obscurity seems
in general to be necessary. When we know the full extent of any danger, when we can accustom our
Unlock document

Document Summary

It was defined by political events such as the french revolution breaking out in 1789, napoleonic wars, outlawing the transatlantic slave trade in 1807, the passage of the great reform act in 1832. Two very influential books still shaping scholarship on romanticism. Jero(cid:373)e mcga(cid:374)(cid:374)"s the romantic ideology: suggests that we are still thinking inside the terms that ro(cid:373)a(cid:374)ticis(cid:373) has set. Truggles to see (cid:449)hat u(cid:374)ifies e(cid:448)e(cid:374) the (cid:862)big ix(cid:863) ro(cid:373)a(cid:374)tic poets. Realizes that romanticism one of the very first literary movements that does not seek to find definitive answers, but prefers an ongoing struggle, agon. Nicola watson and mary favret, at the limits of romanticism: blows the doors open to more voices, more authors, more fields of study, especially gender. Start of a movement to re-evaluate the romantic canon, to include more authors (hemans) and value more forms of writing (for literary magazines and other reasons). (cid:862)the age of the spirit of the age. (cid:863)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers