Philosophy
Course
PHIL 202
Professor
Shannon Dea
Semester
Fall

Description
Reading Main Points Details Plato - Aristophanes’ - Sun, earth, moon people (know the differences) three sex model - Sun – two males  the light (more light more male) why sun people are the best leaders? (look at weekly Qs) most male, attracted to male things - Earth – two females  no light - Moon – male and female  sun reflects little light - Reproduce the venn diagram BODY SEX ORIENTATION Groneberg - Aristophanes’ - Ulrichs – 3-sex model three sex model (dionian is considered standard; they don’t require explanation because opposite sex and its attraction is the standard) employment by i. Dionian male later thinkers ii. Dionian female iii. Uranian – anyone who isn’t heterosexual – everyone who requires special explanations - Ulrich’s germ theory Who we explain uranians Same sex attraction – seeds of who we are – might not match the gender of your body – its your germ that is attracted to the opposite sex; if we males are attracted to each other, one of them have a female germ M1 M2 [M germ] [F germ] m1 senses m2’s f germ ----------------------------------------- F1 M1 [M germ] [F germ] F1 senses M2’s F germ - Is sexual orientation innate or development - Freud’s and Ulrich’s and Aristophanes’ -sexual orientation – development or innate? i. development: grow into; FREUD: something about early childhood development ii. innate: something that’s been there; there from birth; scientific view ULRICHS, ARISTOPHANES - contrast the three sex models - ARIS – two sexes are homo ULR – one homo - ARIS – no need to explain – whoever you were before you were split; doesn’t consider sex orientation to be pathological; all have parallel orientation – depends on who your other half was before Zeus split you in half ULR – there is pathological explanation d’Anglure - Third gender of - Third gender straddling the divide the Inuit Shamanism (tribal magic man) - Story of the strange man - Big anus - Explanations for Inuit decision to raise children the opposite sex i. Division of labour within the family (economical) ii. Dead ancestor reason (spiritual) – to keep family connection tight - Interesting question for Clark – how it helps society more stable Gender swapping Nanda - Hijras of India - What is a hijra? Abduct intersex babies? - Explanations of why people become hijras – roles they fill i. Economical reasons – support each other – make money from Indian man – through sex trade; ceremonial functions; embarrass people into giving them money ii. Sexual orientation – won’t be accepted as gay so be hijras iii. Mother/goddess worship iv. caste system – they are at the bottom of the caste system so that try to upgrade by becoming a hijras – hijras can get away with anything because no one will think any less of them; super poor and already belong to a low caste; becoming a hijras will make them a bit higher - hijras compare to Inuit - explain sim/diff - hijras – clark and nanda Fausto-Sterling 5 sex Model Five sexes – know differences between them i. male ii. merm – gonadal tissue is all testicular iii. herm – ambiguous genitalia iv. ferm – gonadal tissue is all ovarian v. female - to know the gonadal tissue you gotta look inside the body - intersex vs. hermaphrodite (difference between the terms) intersex – new term hermaphrodite – old term; mystical term; old species of animals – not just for some unusual species within a species; two kinds: throughout live with both M and F and theres sequential – sex change over life cycle; either WHOLE species: lifetime/lifecycle - terminological DSD Susan Kessler - medical - various reason to reassignment gender and to operate construction of - John Money gender in intersex - Think about lists* infants (case Principles to guide the case management of intersex infants management) Four things necessary for successful surgery i. Parental confidence (reinforce gender identity of child) ii. Attribution has to be made ASAP – 18 months iii. Hormones – at puberty iv. Age appropriate explanations – tell child the truth
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 202

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit