Exam Review

16 Pages

Department
Accounting
Course Code
ACC 100
Professor
Walter Krystia

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 16 pages of the document.
Pa g e | 1
Financial Accounting Exam
Review
Chapter 5 Income Measurement and the Income Statement
The Revenue Recognition Principle
Revenues Increases in economic resources resulting from ordinary activities such
as the sale of goods, rendering of services, or use of other entitys resources.
Revenue recognition principle Revenues are recognized in the income statement
when they are earned.
oTime-of-sale method The method used by merchandising and
manufacturing industries to recognize revenue when goods are sold.
oPercentage-of-completion method The method used by contractors to
recognize revenue before the completion of a long-term contract.
oProduction method The method in which revenue is recognized when a
commodity is produced rather than when it is sold.
oInstalment method The method in which revenue is recognized at the time
cash is collected.
The Matching Principle and Expense Recognition
Matching Principle The revenues for the period are associated with the costs of
generating those revenues.
oCertain costs directly generate revenues, so they can be directly matched with
them.
oOther costs indirectly generate revenues, so they are matched with the
periods they provide benefit.
oOther costs do not give rise to assets because no future benefits from these
costs are discernible, like the cost of heating and lighting. Thus they are
treated as expiring immediately as they are acquired.
oUnexpired Costs are called assets, expired ones, expenses.
www.notesolution.com
Pa g e | 2
The Format and Content of the Income Statement
Single-step income statement An income statement in which all expenses are
added together and subtracted from all revenues. Advantage is that its simple, but
doesnt classify revenues and expenses or associate them with anything.
Multiple-step income statement An income statement that shows classifications of
revenues and expenses as well as important subtotals.
oNet Sales Sales revenue less sales returns and allowances and sales
discounts.
oGross Profit Sales less cost of goods sold, also termed gross margin.
Total sales
revenue $368,00
Less: Sales returns and allowances6,000
Sales discounts4,500
Net sales$357,50
Cost of goods sold 218,300
Gross Profit
$13
oSales Returns and Allowances Contra-revenue account (Shareholders
Equity) used to record both refunds to customers and reductions of their
accounts. Example of someone returning a $25 shirt:
Apr. 25 Sales Returns and Allowances25
Cash
To record return of stained T-shirt by
customer for cash refund
Contra-revenue account Has a balance opposite to its related
account, and is deducted from that account on the statement. Thus the
www.notesolution.com
Pa g e | 3
effect of this debit to this account is the same as if Sales Revenue had
been reduced (debited) directly. A Shareholders Equity account.
oTrade discount Selling price reduction offered to a special class of
customers.
oQuantity discount Reduction in selling price for buying a large number of
units of a product.
oCredit terms Commonly used to give customers sales discounts, 1/10, n/30
means deduct 1% from selling price if paid within 10 days of receiving the
invoice (usually starts day after invoice date), otherwise pay full invoice
amount within 30 days.
oSales Discounts Contra-revenue account used to record discounts given
customers for early payment of their account.
Cost of goods sold model:
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
P a g e | 1 Financial Accounting Exam Review Chapter 5 Income Measurement and the Income Statement The Revenue Recognition Principle Revenues Increases in economic resources resulting from ordinary activities such as the sale of goods, rendering of services, or use of other entitys resources. Revenue recognition principle Revenues are recognized in the income statement when they are earned. o Time-of-sale method The method used by merchandising and manufacturing industries to recognize revenue when goods are sold. o Percentage-of-completion method The method used by contractors to recognize revenue before the completion of a long-term contract. o Production method The method in which revenue is recognized when a commodity is produced rather than when it is sold. o Instalment method The method in which revenue is recognized at the time cash is collected. The Matching Principle and Expense Recognition Matching Principle The revenues for the period are associated with the costs of generating those revenues. o Certain costs directly generate revenues, so they can be directly matched with them. o Other costs indirectly generate revenues, so they are matched with the periods they provide benefit. o Other costs do not give rise to assets because no future benefits from these costs are discernible, like the cost of heating and lighting. Thus they are treated as expiring immediately as they are acquired. o Unexpired Costs are called assets, expired ones, expenses. www.notesolution.com P a g e | 2 The Format and Content of the Income Statement Single-step income statement An income statement in which all expenses are added together and subtracted from all revenues. Advantage is that its simple, but doesnt classify revenues and expenses or associate them with anything. Multiple-step income statement An income statement that shows classifications of revenues and expenses as well as important subtotals. o Net Sales Sales revenue less sales returns and allowances and sales discounts. o Gross Profit Sales less cost of goods sold, also termed gross margin. Total sales $368,00 revenue 0 Less: Sales returns and allowances 6,000 Sales discounts 4,500 $357,50 Net sales 0 Cost of goods sold 218,300 $13 9,2 Gross Profit 00 o Sales Returns and Allowances Contra-revenue account (Shareholders Equity) used to record both refunds to customers and reductions of their accounts. Example of someone returning a $25 shirt: Apr. 25 Sales Returns and Allowances 25 Cash 25 To record return of stained T-shirt by customer for cash refund Contra-revenue account Has a balance opposite to its related account, and is deducted from that account on the statement. Thus the www.notesolution.com P a g e | 3 effect of this debit to this account is the same as if Sales Revenue had been reduced (debited) directly. A Shareholders Equity account. o Trade discount Selling price reduction offered to a special class of customers. o Quantity discount Reduction in selling price for buying a large number of units of a product. o Credit terms Commonly used to give customers sales discounts, 1/10, n/30 means deduct 1% from selling price if paid within 10 days of receiving the invoice (usually starts day after invoice date), otherwise pay full invoice amount within 30 days. o Sales Discounts Contra-revenue account used to record discounts given customers for early payment of their account. Cost of goods sold model: www.notesolution.com P a g e | 4 o Cost of goods available for sale Beginning inventory plus cost of goods purchased. o Cost of goods sold Cost of goods available for sale minus ending inventory. o Gross Profit Margin = Gross Profit / Net Sales This indicates the amount of each net sales dollar left after cost of goods sold. Operating Expenses and Income from Operations Income from operations is the difference between gross profit and total operating expenses. A healthy income from operations can indicate a healthy financial future. Other Revenues and Expenses and Income before Income Taxes Any outflow or inflow of assets resulting from non-operating activities. Profit Margin = Net Income / Net Sales o The ratio of net income to net sales indicates the amount of each net sales dollar left as profit after all expenses are covered. How Sales Affect the Cash Flow Statement Direct method used to prepare the Operating Activities category of the cash flow statement: o The amount of cash collected from customers is shown as positive cash flow. Indirect method used to prepare the Operating Activities category of the cash flow statement: o It is necessary to make adjustments to net income for the changes in accounts receivable. An increase in accounts receivable is deducted because it indicates the company is tying up its cash in these accounts. A decrease is added to net income because the company actually reduced the amount owed by customers and collected cash. www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit