ECN204 Notes BEFORE Midterm

17 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECN 204
Professor
Amy Peng

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 17 pages of the document.
Macroeconomics (BEFORE MIDTERM)
- Whole economy
- Subdivision/aggregates (total) ; GDP, inflation
- Economic growth, price stability (inflation), GDP
Inflation t price change from one period to another
Milton Friedman
- Took 5 years to get rid of inflation in Japan
- Inflation is just like alcoholism, in both cases, when you start drinking or when you start printing too
much money. The good effects come first; the bad effects only come later. That's why, in both cases,
there is a strong temptation to overdo it, to drink too much and to print too much money. When it
comes to the cure, it's the other way around, when you stop drinking or when you stop printing
money the bad effects come first and the good effects only come later. That's why it's so hard to
persist with the cure.
Aggregate Demand-Aggregate Supply Model (AS-AS)
Begin at Point A t produce @ 2%
inflation
SR increase, demand increase t
Point B for growth GDP
As price goes up, demand cuts t
Point C, D,
Inflation high, instability, move to
LR t Point E
LR t Long run, fixed technology,
resource
SR t short run
Short run t price not easily
adjustable (change)
Point F t worst situation, low GDP
level, high inflation
Orange arrowt inflate; Blue -
deflate
www.notesolution.com
Orange t Good first, bad after
1. Despite the central bank's attempts to reduce inflation between times B and E, the inflation rate
inevitably still increases. What can explain this?
Reduce demand
2. Suppose the economy is at time E. What must Argentina's central bank do in order to reduce the
inflation rate from 12% to 2%? Will this be politically popular?
3. Using the AD-AS model, explain what Friedman means by "When it comes to the cure, it's the other
way around, when you stop drinking or when you stop printing money the bad effects come first and
the good effects only come later. That's why it's so hard to persist with the cure."
Economic Models & Analysis
Prices t vertical axis Slope t rise/run (marginal effect) Intercepts
Consumption Function = C = mx + b (between income & consumption relationship)
Production Possibilities Model t allocate resources efficiently & effectively
Assumptions:
- Full employment & productive efficiency
- Fixed resources, technology
- Two goods, consumer & capital goods
Production Possibilities
Law of Increasing Opportunity Cost t Opportunity cost increases with amount produced, shape steeper
www.notesolution.com
Optimal Allocation t MC=MB
Marginal benefit t extra benefit associated with consuming one more unit
Marginal Cost t extra opportunity cost of that extra unit
Present Choices & Future Possibilities
Favoring present goods = consumer goods
Favoring future goods = capital goods
Resource Allocation t handle in different societies
- Command, Mixed, Invisible Hand (Free Market)
DATA t pieces of evidence about behavior
- Help quantify theoretical relationships, test models/beliefs
Types of Data
- Time series data *
- Cross section data (survey)
- Longitudinal data
Index Number t choose reference point
- Consumer Price Index (CPI)
- Nominal & Real variables
- Quality & Technological Change
- Measuring Change in economic variables
The Circular Flow Diagram
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Macroeconomics (BEFORE MIDTERM) - Whole economy - Subdivision/aggregates (total) ; GDP, inflation - Economic growth, price stability (inflation), GDP Inflation J price change from one period to another Milton Friedman - Took 5 years to get rid of inflation in Japan - Inflation is just like alcoholism, in both cases, when you start drinking or when you start printing too much money. The good effects come first; the bad effects only come later. That's why, in both cases, there is a strong temptation to overdo it, to drink too much and to print too much money. When it comes to the cure, it's the other way around, when you stop drinking or when you stop printing money the bad effects come first and the good effects only come later. That's why it's so hard to persist with the cure. Aggregate Demand-Aggregate Supply Model (AS-AS) Begin at Point A J produce @ 2% inflation SR increase, demand increase J Point B for growth GDP As price goes up, demand cuts J Point C, D, Inflation high, instability, move to LR J Point E LR J Long run, fixed technology, resource SR J short run Short run J price not easily adjustable (change) Point F J worst situation, low GDP level, high inflation Orange arrowJ inflate; Blue - deflate www.notesolution.com Orange J Good first, bad after 1. Despite the central bank's attempts to reduce inflation between times B and E, the inflation rate inevitably still increases. What can explain this? Reduce demand 2. Suppose the economy is at time E. What must Argentina's central bank do in order to reduce the inflation rate from 12% to 2%? Will this be politically popular? 3. Using the AD-AS model, explain what Friedman means by "When it comes to the cure, it's the other way around, when you stop drinking or when you stop printing money the bad effects come first and the good effects only come later. That's why it's so hard to persist with the cure." Economic Models & Analysis Prices J vertical axis Slope J rise/run (marginal effect) Intercepts Consumption Function = C = mx + b (between income & consumption relationship) Production Possibilities Model J allocate resources efficiently & effectively Assumptions: - Full employment & productive efficiency - Fixed resources, technology - Two goods, consumer & capital goods Production Possibilities Law of Increasing Opportunity Cost J Opportunity cost increases with amount produced, shape steeper www.notesolution.com Optimal Allocation J MC=MB Marginal benefit J extra benefit associated with consuming one more unit Marginal Cost J extra opportunity cost of that extra unit Present Choices & Future Possibilities Favoring present goods = consumer goods Favoring future goods = capital goods Resource Allocation J handle in different societies - Command, Mixed, Invisible Hand (Free Market) DATA J pieces of evidence about behavior - Help quantify theoretical relationships, test models/beliefs Types of Data - Time series data * - Cross section data (survey) - Longitudinal data Index Number J choose reference point - Consumer Price Index (CPI) - Nominal & Real variables - Quality & Technological Change - Measuring Change in economic variables The Circular Flow Diagram www.notesolution.com www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit