GMS 200 FINAL EXAM REVIEW
APRIL 22, 7:00PM 90 QUESTIONS + 30 LECTURE
Chapter 6: planning processes & techniques
1. What is planning?
In our evaluation of walmarts approach to planning, we noted
that it primarily gains direction from two factors. What are
they? (beliefs[respect for individual, service for customers
and striving for excellence] and customer service rules)
2. What did we identify as the main responses of Loblaws to the
entry of Walmart in the Canadian crockery industry?
(Loblaws invested heavily in technology and cutting down on
3. What is scenario planning? What are its benefits? (better
focus and flexibility, action oriented, better
4. What is contingency planning?
5. What are organizational procedures (specific rule you follow;
sexual harassment rules) and policies (sexual harassment is
small part of the policy, policy is the overall)? What is main
difference between them?
Chapter 7: strategy & strategic Management
1. what is strategy? What is stratefic management?
2. What are two basic ways in which firms compete against
3. Review Porter’s 5 forces framework, review it’s application
to the Canadian auto industry – what factors are associated
with greater competition, and hence, a lower average price?
4. Review Porter’s model of generic strategies (i.e. cost
leadership strategy, focused low-cost strategy; differentiation
strategy, focused differentiation strategy)
5. Review the various components of a SWOT analysis.
6. Concepts to review: customer relationship mgmt, supply
chain management, total quality management, organizational
culture. 7. Review the BCG Matric approach
8. Concepts to review: strategic alliance, vertical
integration(acquire supplier or distribute yourself)
retrenchment strategy (if you’re in an industry to retrench
means you are pulling out of it) , restructuring, globalization
strategy, multidomestic strategy, transnational strategy.
Chapter 11: Leading & Leadership Development
1. What is leadership?
2. Review concepts: emotional intelligence (being aware of
people emotional state ; topic making person feel
uncomfortable…change topic or not?), transactional
leadership, transformational leadership; visionary leader,
charisma, symbolism, empowerment
3. Review the following theories/models of leadership (text
and lecture notes on McCain’s leadership @ Maple Leaf):
1. Hersey – Blanchard situational model
2. Fiedler’s contingency model
3. House’s path-goal leadership model
4. Vroom-Jago leader-participation model
5. Other: leadership styles (i.e. democratic, autocratic, etc).
Chapter 5: Entrepreneurship & Small Business
1. Who is an entrepreneur? What is entrepreneurship?
2. What are the myths about entrepreneurs? (Gamblers and take
too much risks, boring, money is the key to entrepreneur’s