Study Guides (258,812)
CA (125,011)
Ryerson (8,695)
GMS (542)
GMS 450 (29)
Study Guide

[GMS 450] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (53 pages long)
Premium

53 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 450
Professor
Peter Monkhouse

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 53 pages of the document.
Ryerson
GMS 450
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Lecture 1
Chapter 1 The World of Project Management
1.1 What is a project?
Organizations perform work which involves:
Operations
o Semi-permanent charter, organization and goals
o Maiteae of status uo
o Standard product or service
o Homogeneous teams
o Ongoing
Projects
o Performed by individuals
o Limited by constraints including resource constraints
o Planned, executed, monitored, and controlled
o Performed to achieve organizational objectives or strategic plans
Each work activity is unique with a specific deliverable aimed at meeting a specific need or purpose
How are projects different from operations?
Original charter,
organization and goals
Catalyst for change
Unique product or service
Heterogeneous teams
Start and end date
Project: a temporary endeavour undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result.
Projects are unique therefore:
o Vary widely in size and type
o There may be uncertainties about the product, services or results
o Tasks can be new to a project team
o Projects are undertaken at all organizational levels
o Projects can involve a single person, organizational unit or multiple organizational units.
A ogoig ok effot is geeall a epetitie poess eause it follos a ogaizatio’s eistig
procedures. (Not a Project)
They are unique, specific, timely, usually multidisciplinary, and conflict ridden
Do not exist under isolation; often parts of a larger entity or program
Projects are parts of overall programs and may be broken down into tasks, subtasks, and further if
desired.
Attributes of a Project
Has a well-defined objective
Composed of a series of interdependent tasks
Utilizes various resources
Has a specific time frame
Is a unique or one-time endeavor
Has a sponsor or customer
Involves a degree of uncertainty
find more resources at oneclass.com
Multidisciplinary Nature of Projects:
Require input from people with different kinds of knowledge and expertise
Means that they tend to be complex
Composed of many interconnected elements and requiring input from groups outside the project
Projects are characterized by conflict
Why Projects?
We form projects in order to fix the responsibility and authority for the achievement of an
organizational goal on an individual or small groups when the jobs do not clearly fall within the
definition of routine work
Trends in Project Management
Many recent developments in project management are being driven by quickly changing global
markets, technology, and education
Global competition is putting pressure on prices, response times, and product/service innovation
Trends:
o Achieving strategic goals
o Achieving routine goals
o Improving project effectiveness
o Virtual projects
o Quasi-projects
1.2 Project Management vs. General Management
The naturally high level of conflict present in projects means that the project manager must have special skills
in conflict resolution. The fact that projects are unique means that the project manager must be creative and
flexible, and have the ability to adjust rapidly to changes.
Project Management:
Project Management: the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to meet the project
requirements
Project Management processes are divided into five Process Groups:
o Initiating
o Planning
o Executing
o Monitoring and Controlling
o Closing
Subprojects are parts of projects
o Often contracted out to another firm or unit
o Managers of subprojects will treat them as projects
Managing a project typically includes:
o Identifying Requirements
o Addressing the various needs, concerns, and expectations of the stakeholders as the project is
planned and carried out
o Balancing the competing project constraints including, but not limited to:
Scope
Quality
Schedule

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ryerson GMS 450 FINAL EXAM STUDY GUIDE find more resources at oneclass.com Lecture 1 Chapter 1 The World of Project Management 1.1 What is a project? Organizations perform work which involves: Operations o Semipermanent charter, organization and goals o Maiteae of status uo o Standard product or service o Homogeneous teams o Ongoing Projects o Performed by individuals o Limited by constraints including resource constraints o Planned, executed, monitored, and controlled o Performed to achieve organizational objectives or strategic plans Each work activity is unique with a specific deliverable aimed at meeting a specific need or purpose How are projects different from operations? Original charter, organization and goals Catalyst for change Unique product or service Heterogeneous teams Start and end date Project: a temporary endeavour undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result. Projects are unique therefore: o Vary widely in size and type o There may be uncertainties about the product, services or results o Tasks can be new to a project team o Projects are undertaken at all organizational levels o Projects can involve a single person, organizational unit or multiple organizational units. A ogoig ok effot is geeall a epetitie poess eause it follos a ogaizatios eistig procedures. (Not a Project) They are unique, specific, timely, usually multidisciplinary, and conflict ridden Do not exist under isolation; often parts of a larger entity or program Projects are parts of overall programs and may be broken down into tasks, subtasks, and further if desired. Attributes of a Project Has a welldefined objective Composed of a series of interdependent tasks Utilizes various resources Has a specific time frame Is a unique or onetime endeavor Has a sponsor or customer Involves a degree of uncertainty find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit