Front de liberation du Quebec, a radical group of Quebec separatists
In 1960, campaign of terror. Extremists who committed crimes, group of terrorists
The October Crisis
- October 5, 1970 a small FLQ cell kidnapped James Cross, the British trade
- They demanded the release of 23 people imprisoned for terrorist activities.
Authorities agreed to buy time.
- Pierre Laporte, Quebec labour minister was also abducted when authorities
didn’t meet their demands.
- October 16, War Measures Act was invoked by Trudeau, arrests were made
without warrants etc.
- Oct 17, dead body of Pierre Laporte found in a car.
- James Cross found in a Montreal apartment and kidnappers on December 28
Leadership of the provincial CCF (Co-operativse Commonwealth Federation) and
introduced medicare in 1947.
South Africa had a policy of apartheid that legally made Black South Africans
1991, apartheid abolished and Nelson Mandela becomes South Africa’s first
Apartheid: legislated separation of Black & white majority population
Spy camp in Canada- Camp X
Canada was a middle power – a state with limited military power, but some
international political influence
Kim Campbell- first female prime minister in June 1993 after Brian Mul