Notes from Chpt 1

7 Pages

Department
Information Technology Management
Course Code
ITM 100
Professor
John Peco

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 1
Moores Law
Moores Law - computing power (as measured by the maximum number of transistors in an
integrated circuit) roughly doubles every 18 months.
Connected the notion of underlying changes in the pace of technology with consumer access to
lower cost and higher performance computing over time
Technology improving 11-15% quarterly
Thomas Friedman
IT key enabler in making the world flatter and smaller
Of the 10 forces identified only one is not directly related to technology
1.Collapse of the Berlin Wall – 1989
2.Netscapean early search engine allowing the general public to search the Internet
3.Workflow softwareusing internet technologies to allow work ot be down without
human intervention (e.g. the use of Paypal for financial transactions)
4.Open sourcingallowing online contribution and collaboration
5.Outsourcing –allowing work to be divided between companies or locations, enabling
them to be more efficient; the work is then integrated back to the assigning organization;
customer contact call centers are often outsourced
6.Offshoringallowing companies to take their operations to another location, which
allows them to produce items better, faster, and cheaper
7.Supply-chainingusing technology to streamline operations and provide
products/services to market faster and cheaper
8.Insourcing allowing companies , small and large, to use outside firms to manage key
operations on their behalf, thus allowing them to focus on core business (e.g. a company
may insource its warehouse and distribution activities so that it can focus on product
desin)
9.Informingthe ability to find any type of information online
10.The steroidstechnology such as mobile phones, iPods, instant messaging, and voice
over Internet protocol (VoIP)
www.notesolution.com
Importance of IT for Me, Organizations and Society
Information technology is part of any information systems
Knowledge workinvolves the discovery, analysis, transformation, synthesis, and communication
of data, information, and knowledge
Organizations can use IT to increase sales
Social globalization from the creation and use of socializing sites (Facebook)
Globalizationmodern businesses use information technology to expand their market to
customers around the globe, to find the lowest- cost suppliers regardless of location, and even to
create 24-hour business days by shuttling work across time zones and nations
What is an Information System?
Information systemis an organized collection of people, information, business process, and
information technology (IT), designed to transform inputs into outputs, in order to achieve a goal.
IT is a collection of toolshardware, software, and connectivity – that enable individuals or
businesses to achieve their goals
IPO model
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 1 Moores Law Moores Law - computing power (as measured by the maximum number of transistors in an integrated circuit) roughly doubles every 18 months. Connected the notion of underlying changes in the pace of technology with consumer access to lower cost and higher performance computing over time Technology improving 11-15% quarterly Thomas Friedman IT key enabler in making the world flatter and smaller Of the 10 forces identified only one is not directly related to technology 1. Collapse of the Berlin Wall 1989 2. Netscape an early search engine allowing the general public to search the Internet 3. Workflow software using internet technologies to allow work ot be down without human intervention (e.g. the use of Paypal for financial transactions) 4. Open sourcing allowing online contribution and collaboration 5. Outsourcing allowing work to be divided between companies or locations, enabling them to be more efficient; the work is then integrated back to the assigning organization; customer contact call centers are often outsourced 6. Offshoring allowing companies to take their operations to another location, which allows them to produce items better, faster, and cheaper 7. Supply-chaining using technology to streamline operations and provide productsservices to market faster and cheaper 8. Insourcing allowing companies , small and large, to use outside firms to manage key operations on their behalf, thus allowing them to focus on core business (e.g. a company may insource its warehouse and distribution activities so that it can focus on product desin) 9. Informing the ability to find any type of information online 10. The steroids technology such as mobile phones, iPods, instant messaging, and voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit