Study Guides (283,485)
CA (135,427)
Ryerson (9,321)
PHL (180)
PHL 333 (18)
Study Guide

PHL 333 Study Guide - Comprehensive Midterm Guide: Thrasymachus, Square Enix Europe, Speedstep
Premium

12 Pages
Winter 2017

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 333
Professor
Sasa Stankovic
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 12 pages of the document.
Ryerson
PHL 333
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Plato’s Repuli (Part 1) Jan 16, 2017
Introduction to Plato & His Ideas
Born into an influential family
Influenced heavily by Socrates, who:
o Philosophically questioned people about what they were experts on, ie, asking a lawyer
what law or justice is
o Challenged the youth to question authority (and was later charged and executed for
iitig a upisig
o “tood up fo the seah fo tuth/piiple at the ost of his life
Theme of something appearing to be, vs. it actually being
o Ie, social media allowing people to appear happy and rich and successful, when the
reality is student debt and depression and joblessness
o Questioig hat Beig is, if thigs ae ostatl hagig ad thee udefiale
“oethig a ol e defied as it is if it is unchanging; if it is changing, it
ust e defied as it is eoig
o Acknowledgement of two realities: the physical and metaphysical; senses v. ideas
What is Virtue & can it be taught? Disussed i Plato’s dialogue etee “oates ad Meo
o Plato begins the dialogue ith Meo askig “oates ith a itue e
auied/taught? poptig “oates to the ask, hat is itue?
o We a’t ask the fist uestio ithout fist defiig itue, ut a’t tul defie itue
because the concept is constantly changing
o Meo gies eaples of itue fo e, it is leadig a solid politial life; fo oe, it’s
tending to the household), but Socrates challenges this ou a’t defie soethig 
examples
o Eaples do’t defie the ualit, the shae the ualit; in providing an example
instead of a definition, the knowledge of what exactly the quality is is lost
Eidos: the fo of the thig that allos us to eogize it, ie, e eogize a hai/a/lothig
because of the common form that we connect with our preconceived idea of such objects
One can be led to believe a certain definition or goodness/badness of a thing based on the
perceived purposes of that thing (is, justice restricts our freedom and happiness)
Plato’s Repuli
Begins with Plato arguing with Thrasymachus about the goodness of justice, but Thrasymachus
gives up the argument pretty quick
Glauo, usatisfied ith Plato’s ase, igs the aguet ak up i the hopes of a oe
convincing one
Plato and Glaucon categorize justice into the fiest of the thee kids of good
o Good i itself: those thigs hih ig tepoa happiess ut do’t podue
anything that benefits further than itself (ie, drinking/partying, watching some movies,
eating candy)
o Good in itself and because of its fruit: it is enjoyable in itself, but also produces longer
lasting benefits (ie, reading/knowledge, shopping, listening to music); this is the
category Socrates places justice in
find more resources at oneclass.com
o Good because of its fruit: those things which are difficult or upsetting to do, but yield
something that makes it worth it (ie, housework, studying); this is the category most
people place justice in
Glaucon challenges Socrates to show him how exactly justice is good in itself, not for the
benefits it later yields; he also challenges Socrates in how justice is good apart from its
appearance, arguing that all the good a person gets from being just is simply because of the
reputation of justness
o the geatest good fo a peso ould e to e ujust hile appeaig just
Glauo’s aguet begins:
o The Origin of Justice
People who have both inflicted and suffered injustice, but are too weak to inflict
injustice or protect themselves from it these people come to a compromise
Laws are created to prevent people from hurting one another, which (Glaucon
argues) means that everyone would hurt everyone if they could bypass the law
Also implies that law = justice, but is that really the case? Is there justice and
ijustie hee las do’t eist? Ho a e defie justie if it hages fo
place to place and time to time? How can something we build our whole lives,
countries, and systems on be so fluid and changing?
o Is Justice Good?
People act justly unwillingly
Story of Gyges of Lydia: found a ring that allowed him to become
invisible, subsequently seduced the Queen, murdered the King, and
took over the kingdom
o Those who live unjustly live better (as long as they remain uncaught/untried)
Glaucon begins a thought experiment to determine whether injustice or justice
is truly better in and of itself
The perfectly unjust person is completely unjust, but appears to be
completely just; if they are caught, they have the power, prestige, or
influence to defend themselves against all charges and still appear just;
this is to see the good i itself of injustice
The perfectly just person is completely just, but appears to be
opletel ujust; the ae aught ad tied ad totued ad
eeuted; this is to see the good i itself of justie
Glaucon concludes (for the sake of argument) that a person has no
reason to be just as it yields nothing for them, whereas a person has
every reason to be unjust (as long as they remain uncaught), because it
yields everything
Adeiatus’ agues futhe:
o Poets, politicians, teachers, and parents all praise justice, but only for the rewards of a
reputation (ie, good marriages, friends, repute)
o But justie aloe is’t eough fo a lot of people get , ad so e hae ujust people
appearing just
o Justice in itself appears to do no good for a person

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ryerson PHL 333 MIDTERM EXAM STUDY GUIDE find more resources at oneclass.com Plato’s Repu▯li▯ (Part 1) Jan 16, 2017 Introduction to Plato & His Ideas  Born into an influential family  Influenced heavily by Socrates, who: o Philosophically questioned people about what they were experts on, ie, asking a lawyer what law or justice is o Challenged the youth to question authority (and was later charged and executed for ▯i▯▯iti▯g a▯ up▯isi▯g▯▯ o “tood up fo▯ ▯the sea▯▯h fo▯ t▯uth/p▯i▯▯iple▯ at the ▯ost of his life  Theme of something appearing to be, vs. it actually being o Ie, social media allowing people to appear happy and rich and successful, when the reality is student debt and depression and joblessness o Questio▯i▯g ▯hat ▯Bei▯g▯ is, if thi▯gs a▯e ▯o▯sta▯tl▯ ▯ha▯gi▯g a▯d the▯e u▯defi▯a▯le  “o▯ethi▯g ▯a▯ o▯l▯ ▯e defi▯ed as ▯it is▯ if it is unchanging; if it is changing, it ▯ust ▯e defi▯ed as ▯it is ▯e▯o▯i▯g▯ o Acknowledgement of two realities: the physical and metaphysical; senses v. ideas  What is Virtue & can it be taught? Dis▯ussed i▯ Plato’s dialogue ▯et▯ee▯ “o▯▯ates a▯d Me▯o o Plato begins the dialogue ▯ith Me▯o aski▯g “o▯▯ates ▯ith ▯▯a▯ ▯i▯tue ▯e a▯▯ui▯ed/taught?▯ p▯o▯pti▯g “o▯▯ates to the▯ ask, ▯▯hat is ▯i▯tue?▯ o We ▯a▯’t ask the fi▯st ▯uestio▯ ▯ithout fi▯st defi▯i▯g ▯i▯tue, ▯ut ▯a▯’t t▯ul▯ defi▯e ▯i▯tue because the concept is constantly changing o Me▯o gi▯es e▯a▯ples of ▯i▯tue ▯fo▯ ▯e▯, it is leadi▯g a solid politi▯al life; fo▯ ▯o▯e▯, it’s tending to the household), but Socrates challenges this – ▯ou ▯a▯’t defi▯e so▯ethi▯g ▯▯ examples o E▯a▯ples do▯’t defi▯e the ▯ualit▯, the▯ sha▯e the ▯ualit▯; in providing an example instead of a definition, the knowledge of what exactly the quality is is lost  Eidos: ▯the fo▯▯ of the thi▯g▯ that allo▯s us to ▯e▯og▯ize it, ie, ▯e ▯e▯og▯ize a ▯hai▯/▯a▯/▯lothi▯g because of the common form that we connect with our preconceived idea of such objects  One can be led to believe a certain definition or goodness/badness of a thing based on the perceived purposes of that thing (is, justice restricts our freedom and happiness) Plato’s Repu▯li▯  Begins with Plato arguing with Thrasymachus about the goodness of justice, but Thrasymachus gives up the argument pretty quick  Glau▯o▯, u▯satisfied ▯ith Plato’s a▯s▯e▯, ▯▯i▯gs the a▯gu▯e▯t ▯a▯k up i▯ the hopes of a ▯o▯e convincing one  Plato and Glaucon categorize justice into the ▯fi▯est▯ of the th▯ee ki▯ds of good o Good i▯ itself: those thi▯gs ▯hi▯h ▯▯i▯g te▯po▯a▯▯ happi▯ess ▯ut do▯’t p▯odu▯e anything that benefits further than itself (ie, drinking/partying, watching some movies, eating candy) o Good in itself and because of its fruit: it is enjoyable in itself, but also produces longer lasting benefits (ie, reading/knowledge, shopping, listening to music); this is the category Socrates places justice in find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com o Good because of its fruit: those things which are difficult or upsetting to do, but yield something that makes it worth it (ie, housework, studying); this is the category most people place justice in  Glaucon challenges Socrates to show him how exactly justice is good in itself, not for the benefits it later yields; he also challenges Socrates in how justice is good apart from its appearance, arguing that all the good a person gets from being just is simply because of the reputation of justness o ▯the g▯eatest good fo▯ a pe▯so▯▯ ▯ould ▯e to ▯e u▯just ▯hile appea▯i▯g just  Glau▯o▯’s a▯gu▯e▯t begins: o The Origin of Justice  People who have both inflicted and suffered injustice, but are too weak to inflict injustice or protect themselves from it – these people come to a compromise  Laws are created to prevent people from hurting one another, which (Glaucon argues) means that everyone would hurt everyone if they could bypass the law  Also implies that law = justice, but is that really the case? Is there justice and i▯justi▯e ▯he▯e la▯s do▯’t e▯ist? Ho▯ ▯a▯ ▯e defi▯e justi▯e if it ▯ha▯ges f▯o▯ place to place and time to time? How can something we build our whole lives, countries, and systems on be so fluid and changing? o Is Justice Good?  People act justly unwillingly  Story of Gyges of Lydia: found a ring that allowed him to become invisible, subsequently seduced the Queen, murdered the King, and took over the kingdom o Those who live unjustly live better (as long as they remain uncaught/untried)  Glaucon begins a thought experiment to determine whether injustice or justice is truly better in and of itself  The perfectly unjust person is completely unjust, but appears to be completely just; if they are caught, they have the power, prestige, or influence to defend themselves against all charges and still appear just; this is to see the ▯good i▯ itself▯ of injustice  The perfectly just person is completely just, but appears to be ▯o▯pletel▯ u▯just; the▯ a▯e ▯▯aught▯ a▯d t▯ied a▯d to▯tu▯ed a▯d e▯e▯uted; this is to see the ▯good i▯ itself▯ of justi▯e  Glaucon concludes (for the sake of argument) that a person has no reason to be just as it yields nothing for them, whereas a person has every reason to be unjust (as long as they remain uncaught), because it yields everything  Adei▯a▯tus’ a▯gues fu▯the▯: o Poets, politicians, teachers, and parents all praise justice, but only for the rewards of a reputation (ie, good marriages, friends, repute) o But justi▯e alo▯e is▯’t e▯ough fo▯ a lot of people get ▯▯, a▯d so ▯e ha▯e u▯just people appearing just o Justice in itself appears to do no good for a person find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Plato’s Repu▯li▯ (Part 2) Jan 20, 2017  Process of defining the goodness of justice apart from its consequences on society  Begin by defining justice according to the parts of the city & relationships between said parts o Producers, military, and rulers have their own natures, roles, and functions in a society o Justice is each part doing according to its designated role o Injustice is one or more parts rebelling against their role and usurping another  In the same way, the soul has individual parts with individual roles and responsibilities  Questions: How many parts are there to the human soul? Are the parts of the soul truly independent of each other?  The Appetitive Irrational Part: o Every human has things they desire (food, drink, sex, warmth, cool) o Every appetite has a natural object (thirst for drink, hunger for food) o An appetite for a specific object is induced by the environment, not a result of the soul  The Calculative Rational Part: o Every human has a part of the soul that calculates what is good for the person and their life o In a just person, the rational part rules over the appetitive part, preventing the appetitive part from engaging in damaging behaviour (ie, overeating, drinking too much, overdose) o This rational part can be taken over by the irrational part  this is indicative of a damaged soul o Rational part can agree with the irrational if the appetite is for a good object (ie, having an appetite for knowledge, truth, justice)  The Spirited Part: o Every human has emotion and conscience, which allies itself with the rational part o This part is content if the rational part is satisfied, but rouses itself if the rational part is not satisfied  if human does something wrong, the conscience is aroused o In a damaged soul, the spirited part may not ally itself with reason, or may remain silent during damaging behaviour  Socrates and Glaucon conclude that the innate goodness of justice is found in the goodness it has for the soul o Injustice produces illness and disease in the soul, whereas justice produces health and wholeness for the soul o Injustice may appear fruitful and good for the individual from the outside, but Socrates showed how damaging it truly is for the soul Aristotle’s Ni▯o▯a▯hea▯ Ethi▯s ▯Book 1▯ Jan 23, 2017 Intro to Aristotle  Student of Plato  best student, questioned his teacher  Founded the Lyceum School  I▯flue▯▯ed ast▯o▯o▯y, logi▯, physi▯s, ▯iology, ethi▯s, politi▯s, et▯… to the p▯ese▯t day  Idea of ▯e▯e▯ythi▯g st▯i▯i▯g to▯a▯ds its ▯atu▯al e▯d▯  The u▯ity of all ideas ▯o▯ ▯fo▯▯s▯▯ is the good find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Nicomachean Ethics  E▯e▯ythi▯g’s ▯atu▯al e▯d is good, ▯ut the▯e a▯e hie▯a▯▯hies of good o The blacksmith, bridle-maker, horseshoe-person, soldiers – all their natural ends/goods fall under the general o Jobs in a society all fall under the political leader, whether their purpose is to support or overturn the leader  So if the natural end of society is whatever the political leader decides, what is the natural end/good of human life?  Humans can only find fulfillment within a society  “o▯iety’s good/end is human good – happiness!  What is happiness? o Not pleasure  i▯ A▯istotle’s ▯i▯d, pleasu▯e o▯ly ▯akes you a sla▯e to it o Not honour  this can only be bestowed by someone of even greater virtue; in addition, the attribute of being honorable is only enjoyable if it is acknowledged; you only work for honor to be acknowledged o Not money  it is▯’t a▯ e▯d, it si▯ply leads to ▯o▯e; ▯o▯ey itself fulfills so▯ethi▯g, does not provide an end  Attributes of Happiness: o Complete: sought for no reason other than itself  recall the three kinds of good: happiness is the first, in that the most complete kind of a thing is one in which it is good for no more than it simply is (Good without qualification) o Self-Sufficient: there is no real desire for anything else but to seek this thing which provides happiness; happiness in itself is completely satisfying o Most Choiceworthy: no matter what the other options, this is most preferable  Arguments: o Work/function provides happiness: not the job/career of individual humans, but the purpose of humans as humans  Is the function of a human survival? No; all orga
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit