POL 208 Realism textbook notes.docx

3 Pages

Department
Politics and Public Administration
Course Code
POL 208
Professor
Abbas Gnamo

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Realism
Textbook Key points
Pg. 89
Realism has been the dominant theory of world politics sice the beginning of academic international
relations.
Outside the academy, realism has much longer history in the work of classical political theorists such as
Thucydides, Machiavelli, Hobbes, and Rousseau.
The unifying theme around which all realist thinking converges is that states find themselves in the
shadow of anarchy such that their security cannot be taken for granted
At the start of the new millennium, realism continues to attract academicians and inform policy-makers,
although in the period since the end of the cold we have seen heightened criticism of realist
assumptions.
Pg. 93
There is a lack of consensus in the literature as to whether we can meaningfully speak about realism as a
single coherent theory
There are good reasons for delineating different types of realism
Structural realism divides into 2 camps: those who argue that states are security maximizers (defensive
realism), and those who argue that states are power maximizers (offensive realism)
Neoclassical realist bring individual and unit variation back into theory
Pg. 96
Statism: is the centrepiece of realism. This involves 2 claims. First, for the theorist, the state is the pre-
eminent actor and all other actors in world politics are of lesser significance. Second, state ‘sovereignty’
signifies the existence of an independent political community, one that has juridical authority over its
territory
Key criticism: statism is flawed on both empirical (challenges to state power from ‘above and ‘below’)
and normative grounds (the inability of sovereign stats to respond to collective global problems such as
famine, environmental degradation, and human rights abuses)
Survival: the primary objective of all states is survival; this is the supreme national interest to which all
political leaders must adhere
Key Criticism: are there no limits to what action a state can take in the name of necessity?
Hegemonies-The predominant influence, as of a state, region, or group, over another or others

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Realism Textbook Key points Pg. 89 Realism has been the dominant theory of world politics sice the beginning of academic international relations. Outside the academy, realism has much longer history in the work of classical political theorists such as Thucydides, Machiavelli, Hobbes, and Rousseau. The unifying theme around which all realist thinking converges is that states find themselves in the shadow of anarchy such that their security cannot be taken for granted At the start of the new millennium, realism continues to attract academicians and inform policy-makers, although in the period since the end of the cold we have seen heightened criticism of realist assumptions. Pg. 93 There is a lack of consensus in the literature as to whether we can meaningfully speak about realism as a single coherent theory There are good reasons for delineating different types of realism Structural realism divides into 2 camps: those who argue that states are security maximizers (defensive realism), and those who argue that states are power maximizers (offensive realism) Neoclassical realist bring individual and unit variation back into theory Pg. 96 Statism: is the centrepiece of realism. This involves 2 claims. First, for the theorist, the state is the pre- eminent actor and all other actors in world politics are of lesser significance. Second, state ‘sovereignty’ signifies the existence of an independent political community, one that has juridical authority over its territory Key criticism: statism is flawed on both empirical (challenges to state power from ‘above and ‘below’) and normative grounds (the inability of sovereign stats to respond to collective global problems such as famine, environmental degradation, and human rights abuses) Survival: the primary objective of all states is survival; this is the supreme national interest to which all political leaders must adhere Key Criticism: are there no limits to what action a state can take in the name of necessity? Hegemonies-The predominant influence, as of a state, region, or group, over another or others Lecture Notes Realism and Globalization  For Realists, states hold sovereignty, and globalization does not cause obsolete the struggle for political power between states.  Globalization does not weaken the importance of the threat of the use of force Realism- To see the world
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit