REVIEW NOTES FOR SSH 205 Week 1 to 5.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Social Sciences and Humanities
SSH 205
Scott Clark

Debate orAnalysis? • Debates tend to organize info into a 0-sum game: either I’m right or you’re right • They aim for convincing rather than analyzing. • Instead of “which is better, X or Y?” ask yourself: o What can I truthfully say about X or Y? How can X or Y be accomplished? What are the causes of X or Y? Ideas vs. Opinions • Opinions are definitive; they stifle both debate and analysis. • Ideas are flexible. • They tend to be generated by carefully pondered questions. • So…. Not “Which is better: cats or dogs?” • But: “What kind of pet would best suit my friend?” • Ideas:An unexpected question; a puzzling observation; an anomaly you have noticed; the exploration of an implicit question. What is a Summary? • Summary: an abridged version of the text that highlights its main points. Summaries tend to give readers a good idea of what to expect in the work they are about to read. How To Write a Good Summary: • Separate the essential from the inessential. What are the ideas your text absolutely cannot do without? • Get rid of redundancy. Do not repeat yourself! • Decide what is the main idea of the text and lead with it in your topic sentence. • Do not editorialize! Asummary is not an interpretation. • Paraphrase and acknowledge!Although summaries rarely include citations, be sure to acknowledge them if you use them. • Be brief! Asummary rarely exceeds 200 - 250 words. Reformulate • Be suspicious of your first
More Less

Related notes for SSH 205

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.