Study Guides (238,633)
Canada (115,266)
Education (75)
EDUC 220 (16)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

EDUC 220
John Nesbit

EDUC 220 FINALS REVIEWER Educational Psychology, Fifth Canadian Ed. Woolfolk, Winne, Perry. CHAPTER 8: COMPLEX COGNITION PROCESSES Metacognition – knowledge about our own thinking processes - Used to monitor and regulate cognitive processes such as reasoning, comprehension, problem solving, etc - Allows us to plan, monitor, evaluate…. o Plan – how much time I give to a task, what strategy to use, how to start and what order to follow o Monitor – real time awareness of “how I’m doing” o Evaluate – involves making judgments about the processes and outcomes of thinking and learning Metacognition involves three kinds of knowledge… 1. Declarative knowledge – about yourself as a learner, what factors influence your learning and memory 2. Procedural knowledge – knowing how to use the strategies 3. Self-regulatory knowledge – to ensure the completion of the task; knowing the conditions and when and why to apply the procedures and strategies Learning Strategies – general plans for approaching learning tasks Learning Tactics – specific techniques for learning, such as using mnemonics or outlining a passage Examples….. - Deciding what is important - Underlining and Highlighting - Taking Notes - Summaries Principles about skills and strategies (p.270) 1. Students must be exposed to a number of different strategies 2. Should be taught self-regulatory knowledge about when, where and why to use various strategies 3. Must develop a desire to employ these skills 4. Should receive direct instruction in schematic knowledge Concept Map – a drawing that charts the relationships among ideas Cmaps – free download
More Less

Related notes for EDUC 220

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.