Psychology
Course
PSYC 250
Professor
Sherri Atwood
Semester
Spring

Description
Running Head: SOCIAL SUPPORT AND HAPPINESS    1 Perceived Social Support and Happiness Report Abraham Cheng Douglas College Running Head: SOCIAL SUPPORT AND HAPPINESS    2 INTRODUCTION Happiness and social support is important for many different reasons. Happiness has been  said to have a good impact on our mental and physical health. By having a strong social  support, it can help to lead to happiness. The happiness that comes from having many  connections with a network results from the body releasing endorphins to make us  happier and improve our mental abilities. Being part of a team or community makes me  feel like I am part of something and gives me a strong social support network. The goal  of this paper is to report on the hypothesis that if an individual with a high level of  perceived social support will have a high level of happiness whereas individuals with a  low level of perceived social support will have a low level of happiness. This paper will  be based on two reports: “looking to happy tomorrows with friends: best and close  friendships as they predict happiness” by Demir, M., Ozdemir, M., and Wetekamp, L.A.  and “Very happy people: A research report” written by Diener, E. and Seligman, M.E.P.  In the paper, I will list the materials, procedures and participants as well as the results and  discussion that will give us a better understanding of happiness and social support.  HEADING 1: METHOD The type of study conducted is a correlational study where we are to look for a  relationship between variables. In this case, the variables are a high level of perceives  social support will lead to a high level of happiness. The way we are to test this is with a  questionnaire listed in the materials section.  Sub­heading 1.1.: Materials Multidimensional scale of perceived social support. (MSPSS) Consists of 12 statesments,  each rated from 1 to 7 Strongly disagreeing or strongly agreeing.  Zimet, G.D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S.G., & Farley, G. K. (1988) The multidimensional  Scale of Perceived Social Support. Journal of personality assessment, 52(1), 20­41.  Doi:10. 1207/s15237752jpa5201_2 Oxford Happiness Questionnaire. (OHQ) Consists of 29 statesments, 17 positively  worded and 12 negatively worded. Each statement rated from 1 (strongly disagree) to 6  (strongly agree) indicating a high/low level of happiness Hills, P., & Argyle, M. (2002). The Oxford Happiness Questionnaire: A compact scale for  the measurement of psychological well being. Personality and Individula Differences, 33,  1072­1082. Doi: 10.1016/S0191­8869(01)00213­6 Two other articles Demir, M., Ozdemir, M., and Wetekamp, L.A. (2007) looking to happy tomorrows with  friends: best and close friendships as they predict happiness. Journal of Happiness  Studies, 8, 243­271. Doi 10.1007/s10902­006­9025­2 Running Head: SOCIAL SUPPORT AND HAPPINESS    3 Diener, E. and Seligman, M.E.P. (2002) Very happy people: A research report”  Psychological Science, 13(1), 81­84. Doi:10.1111/1467­9280.00415 Subheading 1.2. Procedures   1) Before lab, Questions were stapled. Half were MSPSS before OHQ and the other  half was vice versa and the response
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 250

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit