ANSC 1210 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Analgesic, Endangered Species, Self-Defense

112 views3 pages

Document Summary

According to the contractarian viewpoint, morality is based on agreement. Animal biology midterm: ethical obligations originate in mutual agreements or contracts between people, mutual cooperation is in all of our interests. We should care about animal welfare, because consumers demand it and we want to sell products. I need to treat animals well enough for them to suit my purposes, but i do(cid:374)"t thi(cid:374)k it is (cid:449)o(cid:396)th(cid:449)hile doing anymore than that. According to the utilitarianism, morality is about maximising human and animal well- being: animals like humans deserve moral consideration. In deciding what to do, we must therefore consider what are the welfare consequences for animals as well as potential benefits for humans of our actions: typical statements. Some animal research may be justified by its vital importance as it may enable us to find cures to alleviate painful diseases. It is sometimes better for stray cats to be put down as they otherwise would live very poor lives.