PSYC 1000 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Interference Theory, The Selfish Gene, Displacement Activity

34 views10 pages
Published on 13 Apr 2013
School
University of Guelph
Department
Psychology
Course
PSYC 1000
Professor
Lecture Oct 26th
Skip chapter 10. Read chapter 11 instead.
Forgetting:
A good thing: have to have a certain amount of forgetting.
Trace Decay- been too long since you saw you’re first movie for example. Time!
Proactive vs. Retroactive Inhibition- retroactive inhibition - likely explanation for forgetting (too
much similar stuff going on in our minds) previous learned material interferes with taking in new
info - proactive inhibition; likely accounts for why we forget!!
Freud- so horrible you don’t want to remember- motivational account for forgetting. You’d
remember everything if it wasn’t for motivation i.e. sexual abuse: people forget because it was
too horrible
*short term memory forgetting is linked to trace decay
*long term memory forgetting is linked too interference from other stuff
Key to a Good Memory: multiple indexing- find a couple of separate tags to associate with this
piece of information-gives you several cues when you are trying to retrieve it.
Why are childhood memories so fuzzy? - Not trace decay. The problem is with the original
encoding - kid is a shitty file clerk.
Lashley- Search for the “Engram”- believed memories were 8x10 pictures filed in our memories-
wrong- countless animal testing on removing engram’s so they forget something proved her to be
incorrect.
Lecture Oct 31st
covered this but somehow it’s gone -.-
Motivation
Genetic/Cognitive/Social Motives
Drives (internal) vs. Incentives (external)
Primary (Biological/Homeostatic) vs. Secondary (Social) vs. “Intrinsic” (i.e. Curiosity /
Affiliation) aberham maslow- chapter 11
Proximal vs. Distal Motivational Accounts
-proximal approach would look at features in the immediate environment for its meaning
i.e. rape- this approach would say she wore a tight skirt or short dress- these are features of the
immediate environment
-distal approach would look at a larger environment to figure out something’s meaning; this
often looks at genetics and evolution
Motivation must be INFERRED from behavior
-eating does not always imply hunger, drinking does not always imply thirst, sexual behavior
does not always require the desire to have sex or even to reproduce
-be assertive when being motivated
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 10 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Traits vs. States- Both are relevant
Traits- examples- she’s smart, he’s funny, she’s mean- qualities someone has they are aspects
of who you are characteristics for the most part (they don’t change)
States- transient things (they change) tired is a state, it changes stomach ache, headache. It is
human universal don’t think you can find a culture where this is reversed
-When you try to account for your own behavior you tend to overlook the importance of state
i.e. took an exam and failed- you say “oh I was tired”
-When we account for the behavior of others we tend or overestimate the importance of traits
i.e. he failed an exam- we say “oh he’s dumb”
Lecture Nov 7th.
Chapter 11- motivation
Jukebox Theory of Motivation
*good example of motivation*
activation- putting money into the jukebox to play song you want to hear
arousal vs. direction- must give the jukebox direction for it to play what you want to hear
-all arousal appears the same in humans, but environmental cues (incentives) give a way to
express arousal which differs humans
Yerkes- Dodson Law: Relates Arousal and Performance
-performance increases with arousal to a point, but then it hits an optimal level and starts to
decrease
-too much studying can cause someone to do poorly on an exam because they past the optimal
level
-male sexual response can be explained by Dodson law, as arousal increases the performance
does not get better
Incentives: External Events that attract or repel us- leads us to
The Conflict Model:
Approach/ Approach; in a sense it’s a nice problem to have- i.e. two dates for one night, who do
I go out with?
Approach/Avoidance; one thing that has two aspects, i.e. kid in front of cookie jar, if he eats the
cookie he will get hit.
Avoidance/Avoidance- leads to displacement activity; i.e. you go home and want to play with
friends but your mother tells you to go visit your grandma, don’t visit your friends versus having
to listen to your mother, you’re stuck in a conflict, doing something totally different, [like
cleaning the bathroom instead of hanging with your friends or visiting your grandma], is called
displacement activity.
Unconscious motivation Not all Freudian
*important*- this is where Freud fits in
-everybody uses unconscious motivation all the time
Unlock document

Freudian view of the unconscious motivation:
-human motivation is asexual- unconscious
-ice burg view of motivation: the tip of the ice burg fails to reveal the stuff under the surface,
Freud said- what’s below the surface is your Libido (sexual energy), the ID (constantly asking
for pleasure) and sex. You can account for any human’s behavior from this point of view,
according to Freud, i.e. we why forget, there are no accidents, etc.
Modern view of the unconscious
-you don’t need your conscious verbal thinking mind to get from moment to moment, much of
your motivation and processing is handled unconsciously.
-most things do not need conscious verbal thought to get done, don’t need it in order to activate
our body and achieve our goals very exaggerated in everyday psychology
-thought is expensive therefore, our bodies have evolved to do most things without it
-when we realize why we’ve done something i.e. why we saw the movie we saw, we mistake that
for why we actually, initially did it- this makes us feel better.
Lecture Nov. 9th
In the middle of chapter 11…
SEX not GENDER.
Sexual Motivation:
Sex differences - we are descended from “winners” vs. Cultural Differences our sex is not
developed by society, cultural differences in sexual matters are nothing compared to the hard
wired differences in our heads.
Sex differences vs. Gender differences sex differences are better; some say gender differences
are “socially constructed” which is why sex differences is a better term because our genders are
NOT socially constructed.
Sociobiology and Evolutionary Psychology
(The Selfish Gene- Richard Dawkins) Book; talks about cultural differences.
Forces that compel us to sex are invariant; they are the same in every culture.
Who am I? - Canadian (not that important to who you are), Christian (doesn’t provide most
important information, doesn’t come close to understanding who you are)
*most revealing important thing you can say about who you are, is your sex; (not your gender).
Sex differences in reproductive strategies apply across species
Cultural differences are minimal
Constancy in sexual motivation (generalities):
Men- want to mate with everyone in sight and often do; the only thing that stops men from
mating is women, women simply say “no”. Most men will be like this if they can get away with
it, i.e. movie stairs, rock stars are like this because they can get away with it. Men also look for
younger partners with bizarre qualities like ideal waste to hip ratios (you don’t learn this in your
culture, it is ideal for the whole world- human condition). Both genders are drawn to signals of
Unlock document

Document Summary

A good thing: have to have a certain amount of forgetting. Trace decay- been too long since you saw you"re first movie for example. Retroactive inhibition- retroactive inhibition - likely explanation for forgetting (too much similar stuff going on in our minds) previous learned material interferes with taking in new info - proactive inhibition; likely accounts for why we forget! Freud- so horrible you don"t want to remember- motivational account for forgetting. You"d remember everything if it wasn"t for motivation i. e. sexual abuse: people forget because it was too horrible. *short term memory forgetting is linked to trace decay. *long term memory forgetting is linked too interference from other stuff. Key to a good memory: multiple indexing- find a couple of separate tags to associate with this piece of information-gives you several cues when you are trying to retrieve it. The problem is with the original encoding - kid is a shitty file clerk.

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

YearlyMost Popular
75% OFF
$9.98/m
Monthly
$39.98/m
Single doc
$39.98

or

You will be charged $119.76 upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.