Study Guides (238,606)
Canada (115,249)
MSCI 211 (19)

MSCI 211 Final Exam Study Guide This study guide for all topics covered on the final exam, which is in long answer format.

8 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Management Sciences
MSCI 211
Shahed Alam

MSCI 211 Final Exam Study Guide (Fall 2009) (sledfreak17) Module 6: Organizational Culture and Change: 1. Organizational Culture: The pattern of shared values, beliefs and assumptions considered to be the appropriate way to think and act within an organization. 2. Layers of Culture: a. Visible Layer i. Artefacts b. Hidden Layer i. Beliefs ii. Values iii. Assumptions 3. Characteristics of Organizational Culture a. Innovation and risk-taking b. Attention to detail c. Outcome Orientation d. People Orientation e. Team Orientation f. Aggressiveness g. Stability 4. How to create and Sustain a Culture a. Selection (select individuals that will fit within the culture) b. Top Management (Managers must establish and communicate the norms to others) c. Socialization (Helping new employees adapt to organizations culture.) 5. 4 Culture Typology a. Sociability (Measure of Friendliness) b. Solidarity (Measure of task orientation) i. Networked Culture (High Sociability Low Solidarity) 1. Friendly but not productive ii. Mercenary Culture (Low On Sociability, High on Solidarity) 1. Productive but not friendly and sometimes inhumane. iii. Fragmented Culture (Low on Sociability, Low on Solidarity) 1. Very independent individuals, and no real communal culture. iv. Communal Culture (High on Sociability and High on Solidarity) 1. Friendly and productive (goal oriented) 6. Liabilities of Culture: when the shared values are not in agreement with those that further the organizations effectiveness. 7. Change Agents a. Internal Agents b. Outside Agents 8. Resistance to change can come from a. Individuals: i. Habit ii. Security iii. Economic Factors iv. Fear of the Unknown v. Selective Information Processing b. The Organization i. Structural Inertia ii. Limited Focus of Change MSCI 211 Final Exam Study Guide (Fall 2009) (sledfreak17) iii. Group Inertia iv. Threat to Expertise v. Threat to Established Power Relationships vi. Threat to Established Resource Allocations 9. Overcoming Resistance To Change a. Education and Communication b. Participation and Involvement c. Facilitation and Support d. Negotiation and Agreement e. Manipulation and Co-operation f. Explicit and Implicit Coercion 10. Unfreezing: Getting ready for the change that is going to be made, also minimizing resistance forces against this change. 11. Moving: Actually making the change 12. Refreezing: Stabilizing the Change 13. Kotters Eight Step Plan For Implementing Change: a. Establish a sense of URGENCY b. Form a COALITION c. Create a NEW VISION d. COMMUNICATE this Vision e. EMPOWER OTHERS f. Plan for, create and reward short term wins g. Consolidate Improvements h. REINFORCE the Changes 14. Action Research: A change process based on the systematic collection of data and then selection of a bad change action based on what the analyzed data indicate. 15. 5 Steps to Action Research: a. Diagnosis b. Analysis c. Feedback d. Action e. Evaluation 16. 4 Steps to Appreciative Inquiry (identifies the unique and special qualities of an organization to help improve performance) a. Discovery (Find out what people think these strengths are) b. Dreaming (Speculate on possible Futures) c. Design (Finding a common Vision) d. Destiny (Discussing how the organization is going to fulfill its dream) Module 7: Communication, Conflict and Negotiation: 1. Communication: The transfer of meaning among people. a. Sender: Establishes, encodes, and sends the message. b. Receiver: Decodes the message and provides feedback for the sender. 2. Barriers to Effective Communication: a. Filtering (When the sender manipulates the information so that it is seen more favourably by the receiver.)MSCI 211 Final Exam Study Guide (Fall 2009) (sledfreak17) b. Selective Perception: (Receivers selectively see and hear, based on what they want to hear.) c. Defensiveness: When someone interprets a message as threatening they often try and inhibit the communication. d. Information Overload: Too much information for our processing capacity. e. Language: Words mean different things to different people. 3. Non Verbal Communication: Messages conveyed through body movements, facial expressions and the physical distance between the sender and the receiver. 4. Cross Cultural Communication Difficulties: a. Sources of Barriers: i. Semantics (Words mean different things to different people) ii. Word Connotations (Words imply different things in different languages) iii. Tonal Differences (Formal and Informal Styles have different tones.) iv. Difference in perceptions (People who speak different languages have a different view of the world). 5. Conflict: A process that begins when one party perceives that another part has negatively affected or is about to negatively affect something that the first party cares about. 6. Conflict Resolution: a. Two Dimensions Determine how a Conflict is Handled: i. Cooperativeness ii. Assertiveness b. Five Conflict Handling Strategies: i. Forcing (Competing)
More Less

Related notes for MSCI 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.