MICB 202 Study Guide - Final Guide: Lactoperoxidase, Hypoiodous Acid, Human Microbiota

88 views11 pages
4 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

When we use the terms microbiota or normal flora in micb 202 we are considering these terms to be synonymous with bacterial microbiota or bacterial normal flora. Locations of the microbiota: any part of the body exposed to the environment except perhaps the lower regions of the lungs. Nag sugars of glycan chains: lactoferrin - binds fe+3 (and carbonate, co3 2) to keep fe unavailable to pathogens. Co3 2: lactoperoxidase - catalyzes a reaction between h2o2 and various reducing agents including i . Generates hypoiodite a bleach (clo ) like molecule which kills bacteria. Not clear whether i and hypoiodite are used by the innate immune system. Source of i for the reaction would ultimately come from the diet. Culturing can be tedious and impractical: the microbiota consists of 1000s of different species. Not all bacteria use the same nutrients or grow under the same environmental conditions: culture-independent analysis.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers