How language functions/ is used in society, differentiation, communication, and construction of
12. What is differentiation in language?
Languages and dialects exist, the difference is determined politically and socially
13. Provide examples of languages and dialects.
Languages = Danish, Norwegian, Russian, etc.
Dialects = Chinese dialects, Italian dialects
14. What are sociolects/social dialects?
They differentiate class, gender, and ethnicity in the same geographic location and within the same
15. What are foreign accents?
They distinguish between native and foreign born
Encoding and decoding from a speaker (sender) to a channel and then a hearer (receiver)
17. What does this model assume, and is it likely to be true?
It assumes that there is an uncoded message independent of language and it is probably not true
Construction = formation by/in society and is not a part of nature
Reality= the world as it makes sense to us; the way we understand the world
19. How is it constructed? And is it objective?
It is socially constructed and it is not necessarily objective
20. How does language construct reality?
It creates an understanding of distinct concepts and categories as if they were a part of the objective
21. What is an example of language constructed reality?
Japanese, Vietnamese and Sioux