[Exam Tutorial] CHM139 Term Test 1 Fall 2011 Questions
University of Toronto St. George
TERM Test No.1
October 18, 2011
1. When an atom is represented by the symbols , what does A represent?
a) A is the number of neutrons in the atom.
b) A is the mass of the atom in atomic mass units.
c) A is the total number of protons and neutrons in the atom.
d) A is the number of protons in the atom
e) A is none of these
2. What is the Si unit of density?
a) g/m 3
3. Tale is a mineral that has many uses, ranging from cosmetics to high-tech ceramics. Elemental
analysis shows that 14.35g of tale contains 7.264g of oxygen. Which of the following is the
molecular formula of tale?
a) Mg Si3O4(O10 2
b) Ca S3 O4(10) 2
c) Na S6 O4(10) 2
d) K Si O (OH)
6 4 10 2
4. Upon addition of 4.93g calcium hydroxide to 0.500L of a 0.0680M aqueous solution of H PO , 3 4
solid Ca3(PO 4 2nd water form. What is the theoretical yield of calcium phosphate in this
5. A hydrogen atom in its ground state absorbs ultraviolet radiation having a frequency of
2.94x10 s . What is the principal quantum number of the electron in the atom’s final state?
d) n=7 e) n=9
6. Which element possesses all of the following characteristics
i. The ground-state electron configuration of its atoms has two unpaired electrons;
ii. Aqueous solution of its oxide are acidic;
iii. Its atoms have a radius that is larger than that of krypton but smaller than that of xenon.
7. A sample of propane, C H , has a volume of 32.0L at 42 degree and 1.21 atm. What is its volume
8. Determine the root-mean-square speed of methane, CH (g), at 78 degree.
a) 23 m/s
b) 348 m/s
c) 550 m/s
d) 667 m/s
e) 739 m/s
9. Elemental rhodium is the world’s most expensive metal. It has density of 12.4g cm and adopts
a face-centred cubic unit cell. Determine the volume of one unit cell of rhodium.
a) 5.51x10 nm2 3
b) 7.44x10 nm
c) 2.76x10 nm
d) 8.48 nm 3
e) 2.76x10 nm
10. Which of the following liquid substances would expect to have lowest surface tension?
b) CH -O-CH
c) HO-CH CH2-OH2
d) H O2
e) CH -3-OH 11. What is the mole fraction of NH in 3 16.0 mass % aqueous solution?